Startiing and running an indoor line

Blackstar

Just wondering how much it actually cost to start and run a line? Say 6 snare 3 tenors 4-5 bass 4 cymbals and.......5 pit. How mcuh do members usually pay?

Unless you have the people,that's alot of equipment.No one will lease equipment to a startup unless the lease is in somebody's name with great credit.For what you're asking expect to pay 250-300 for used snares,300-400 for quints and 175-200 for basses.Cymbals are 100-175 a pair.Mallets are about 2000-2500 for marimbas and vibes 1000-1500 for xylos.Add uni's, circuit fees,copyrights and then staff.Start with a smaller number and grow.Right now you're at about $14,000+ without staff and travel.Thats about $700 each member just to start.If you want to know how to get the stuff cheaper drop me a line.

Unless you have the people,that's alot of equipment.No one will lease equipment to a startup unless the lease is in somebody's name with great credit.For what you're asking expect to pay 250-300 for used snares,300-400 for quints and 175-200 for basses.Cymbals are 100-175 a pair.Mallets are about 2000-2500 for marimbas and vibes 1000-1500 for xylos.Add uni's, circuit fees,copyrights and then staff.Start with a smaller number and grow.Right now you're at about $14,000+ without staff and travel.Thats about $700 each member just to start.If you want to know how to get the stuff cheaper drop me a line.

I will thanks Just having some thoughts I need to work out.

I taught an Independent A line that charged $30 a month during the season (nov-march). They had old drums, old keyboards and volunteers. The floor was cheap as were the cymbals. Uniforms were matching sport shirts with some iron-on graphics, kid wore black pants and shoes. We did about four shows and Chapters. Wildwood was an extra $100. This line was just a few qualified staff members away from having something decent. It can be done.

I think you could start a line for a few thousand. Quality instruction will trump old instruments any day. If you want to go out gangbusters with top of the line stuff and a full schedule, I've been advised that it will cost around 20 grand to get off the ground.

If I remember correctly you are in Wilmington DE, are you starting something this year?

you also have to factor in costs of transporting everyone and the equipment and rehearsal space. it's getting harder and harder to find free space.

The group I taught used a cafeteria for 3 hours on Tuesday and a gym for 3 hours on Thursday. During the season we would find a gym here or there for a few hours.

Since we shared rehersal time and space with a batton group (same organization) the cost was low. The parents drove to the competitions, some older kids drove themselves. You can do that kind of stuff with an independant group.

Part of the thing keeping some people from starting an indoor group is the cost, but it doesn't have to be that way if you are smart about it.

You don't need keys, really. The group that won the year I taught just had a battery. You can do anything you want, there are no "requirements" for instrumentation. If you just wanna have some fun and teach kids, why not have a battery and just compete in a novice class. Finish your season and Chapters and invite the kids to Wildwood to watch Championships.