New executive secretary of WDC Hall of Fame

Saw this on the DCP home page and wanted to post it here. :laughing:

Link is: http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_16194805

Spring Garden Twp. man takes exec post with World Drum Corps (video)

JOHN WALK The York Dispatch

Updated: 09/28/2010 11:14:36 AM EDT

Having held several prominent roles during his lifetime, 74-year-old Spring Garden Township resident Bob Zarfoss said he isn't worried about his new responsibilities as the executive secretary of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

The nonprofit organization honors people who have contributed to drum and bugle corps activity and awards $3,000 to $5,000 in scholarships each year to members' relatives.

Zarfoss' official appointment to the new position occurred during the organization's annual meeting Sept. 4 in Rochester, N.Y.

Zarfoss said Monday he is excited to have a role in the future of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

"I think the important thing is not the (executive) secretary position, but that I'll be on the organization's board of directors and I will have a say in the direction of where the group will go in the future," Zarfoss said.

The organization has more than 450 members throughout the United States and Canada, according to its website. Zarfoss said he isn't nervous about handling duties for such a large group.

"The way communications are today, it's easier to do something online with people across the country than it is to set up a meeting of five people to meet in York. With Internet and e-mail, you can facilitate things much easier," he said.

Background: Zarfoss was inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame in 2009 for his career as a performer, arranger, instructor and judge.

He began his career with private lessons and a high school band. He later refined his talents with the Air Force drum corps in the 1950s. In the Air Force, he had the opportunity to perform in Japan, at Radio City Music Hall and at the Rose Bowl.

After serving in the Air Force, Zarfoss instructed drum corps, beginning with the York White Roses Senior Corps and the Hanover Lancers Senior Drum and Bugle Corps from 1959 until 1977.

Zarfoss also worked for William Penn Senior High School as an English teacher and later as principal, a position he retired from in 1993.

Although retired from teaching, Zarfoss has continued to instruct the Hanover Lancers Alumni Corps.

Zarfoss' responsibilities as executive secretary will include coordinating the flow of information, keeping minutes of meetings and maintaining meeting records.

-- Reach John Walk at 505-5439 or jwalk@yorkdispatch.com or follow on Twitter @ydcity.

Saw this on the DCP home page and wanted to post it here. :laughing:

Link is: http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_16194805

Spring Garden Twp. man takes exec post with World Drum Corps (video)

JOHN WALK The York Dispatch

Updated: 09/28/2010 11:14:36 AM EDT

Having held several prominent roles during his lifetime, 74-year-old Spring Garden Township resident Bob Zarfoss said he isn't worried about his new responsibilities as the executive secretary of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

The nonprofit organization honors people who have contributed to drum and bugle corps activity and awards $3,000 to $5,000 in scholarships each year to members' relatives.

Zarfoss' official appointment to the new position occurred during the organization's annual meeting Sept. 4 in Rochester, N.Y.

Zarfoss said Monday he is excited to have a role in the future of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

"I think the important thing is not the (executive) secretary position, but that I'll be on the organization's board of directors and I will have a say in the direction of where the group will go in the future," Zarfoss said.

The organization has more than 450 members throughout the United States and Canada, according to its website. Zarfoss said he isn't nervous about handling duties for such a large group.

"The way communications are today, it's easier to do something online with people across the country than it is to set up a meeting of five people to meet in York. With Internet and e-mail, you can facilitate things much easier," he said.

Background: Zarfoss was inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame in 2009 for his career as a performer, arranger, instructor and judge.

He began his career with private lessons and a high school band. He later refined his talents with the Air Force drum corps in the 1950s. In the Air Force, he had the opportunity to perform in Japan, at Radio City Music Hall and at the Rose Bowl.

After serving in the Air Force, Zarfoss instructed drum corps, beginning with the York White Roses Senior Corps and the Hanover Lancers Senior Drum and Bugle Corps from 1959 until 1977.

Zarfoss also worked for William Penn Senior High School as an English teacher and later as principal, a position he retired from in 1993.

Although retired from teaching, Zarfoss has continued to instruct the Hanover Lancers Alumni Corps.

Zarfoss' responsibilities as executive secretary will include coordinating the flow of information, keeping minutes of meetings and maintaining meeting records.

-- Reach John Walk at 505-5439 or jwalk@yorkdispatch.com or follow on Twitter @ydcity.

Congratulations on your appointment Bob. You are a true credit to the activity and your expertise will enhance the WDCHOF. We in the PaDCHOF are once again very proud that we had the honor of being the first to recognize your talents and I'm sure that those in the WDCHOF will recognize your talents as an administrator in the not to distant future as well.

I never got around to telling Bob about this but some time ago (quite a few years), my brother was walking around York - a mall I think - anyway, either bob had a corps jacket on or my brother did but somehow they struck up a conversation and ended up talking for some time... Ed said he was a great guy and was quite impressed with him... From my brother's description of him and the stories he had to tell.. I figured out it had to be Bob...

So there Bob... the story I meant to tell you in 2009 and never got around too because I was too busy at the championship... but the guy you met that day was Ed Peashey (from East Prospect) who is responsible for hooking me on drum corps...