"Member Councils"

What corps had member councils? I heard back in the 1970's that Oakland Crusaders had the "Goon Platoon." Any other corps have something similar that dealt with members behavior?

We didn't have a member council so much that I remember but I do recall that the various captains (horn, drum and guard) all had appropriately decorated boat paddles. I can recall a couple of times after lights out that there were certain folks not present right at lights out, the distant sound of paddle meeting a soft-fleshy area and the re-emergence of missing members crawling into sleeping bags. The drum captain's paddle had holes drilled in it - I got to meet it once, under less than favorable conditions. Those holes served to make the experience more painful.

They sure couldn't do that today.

It was the job of the Veterans to administer snuggies, 64 fl oz cups of water standing inside someones sleeping bag waiting for them to get in and knock it over, etc for behavioral and performance issues...

• 2 weeks later...

It was Knights' unofficial policy to let staff deal with extreme punishment issues, and let the sections (drumline, or, say, the basses) themselves deal with personal issues.

We did have an hoinorary society for veterans, but it was focused on posditivity. We tried to keep the neg to a minimum, which we did, to my knowledge.