DCI (drumcorps) Hall of Fame nominations?

I got an E-mail from DCI announcing Hall of Fame for 2011, which made me curious to look at who's in there. I couldn't believe STEVE RONDINARO is not there. WHO? I ask has taken his passion for the activity as a member and director, combined it with his occupation and talent as a TV Newsman, and committed YEARS of trying to expose, educate and attract fans to an activity that we all love.

Like Betty White getting to Saturday Night Live,,, I think we as drum corps nuts owe a BIG THANK YOU to RONDO by sending letters of nomination.

I don't think you need to be an amazing drill writer, Brass or Percussion arranger, or be able to spin a whatever to be important and valuable to drum corps.

Just a thought.

Duane

I got an E-mail from DCI announcing Hall of Fame for 2011, which made me curious to look at who's in there. I couldn't believe STEVE RONDINARO is not there. WHO? I ask has taken his passion for the activity as a member and director, combined it with his occupation and talent as a TV Newsman, and committed YEARS of trying to expose, educate and attract fans to an activity that we all love.

Like Betty White getting to Saturday Night Live,,, I think we as drum corps nuts owe a BIG THANK YOU to RONDO by sending letters of nomination.

I don't think you need to be an amazing drill writer, Brass or Percussion arranger, or be able to spin a whatever to be important and valuable to drum corps.

Just a thought.

Duane

A deserving person, no doubt. However, I was struck by the thread title, " DCI(drumcorps) ". There are many folk, particularly we from the aptly named "Golden Age" era of drum corps, who know that DCI and drum corps are not exactly synonymous terms, at least in a "Hall of Fame" context. There are some who believe that the two terms are actually antithetical. I am not one of those.

It's a lot like companies who claim to have "Certified Technicians", no matter how obscure their product or service is. Who, exactly, "certifies" bathtub re-lining workers?

By whose authority does DCI run a "Hall of Fame" for ALL of drum corps, for ALL time? If they wish to have such an institution representing DCI corps, of the DCI era, all well and good. Same goes for DCA, etc.

A legitimate Hall of Fame foe ALL of drum corps should be much broader based. IMO

Gil

A legitimate Hall of Fame foe ALL of drum corps should be much broader based. IMO

There is a world drum corps hall of fame that is broad based and separate from DCI.

But, I'll 2nd the nom for Steve Rondinaro. Not only a solid and long time all around drum corps guy, he was also a beloved director of the Watkins Glen Squires for many years.

We even have a Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame...... I was from a piece of the Golden Age too.... Was just throwing it out there to see if people agreed with Steve Rondinaro as a choice. I have no personal connection with the man but I have met him a few times and he seems like someone that has been there for DRUM CORPS as long as I can remember back to hearing his voice introduce Holly Guard in New York back in the 70's. The post was about Rondo and not so much the HOF.

We even have a Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame...... I was from a piece of the Golden Age too.... Was just throwing it out there to see if people agreed with Steve Rondinaro as a choice. I have no personal connection with the man but I have met him a few times and he seems like someone that has been there for DRUM CORPS as long as I can remember back to hearing his voice introduce Holly Guard in New York back in the 70's. The post was about Rondo and not so much the HOF.

I think I hijacked it. My apologies. I would definitely support Steve Rondinaro for a spot in the DCI Hall of Fame. He managed a very nice corps, the Watkins Glen Squires, for several years, and has been the TV voice of DCI almost from the beginning. He should be in there.

Gil

Just a thought.

Duane

The fabled voice of DC, Wes Hobby, was inducted into the WDCHOF soley as an anouncer ... and deservedly so ... a similar movement is in progress to get photo man Moe Knox inducted ... no reason that Rondonaro should be denied recognition for his contributions to DCI throughout its history ... I guess the question begs: has anyone ever nominated him?

:thumbs-up:

Edited by ajlisko

By whose authority does DCI run a "Hall of Fame" for ALL of drum corps, for ALL time? If they wish to have such an institution representing DCI corps, of the DCI era, all well and good.

That's what the DCI Hall of Fame is, from what I know. It covers the "DCI era" of drum corps.

The World Drum Corps Hall of Fame... a separate organization.... is broader-based, with inductees from the senior and junior corps activities, from pre-DCI (and pre-DCA) until the present day. If you Google and find their website, the site has a list of all the inductees.

There are people who have been inducted into both Halls. Dennis DeLucia and Gail Royer are two names that come to mind.

Back on topic, I agree that Steve Rondinaro would be a more than worthy candidate for the DCI Hall, at the very least.