1979 Guardsmen DCI.org Download of the Week

Love the opener.

The drum solo? Feh. Who'd want to play 'Russlan and Ludmilla?'

Love the opener.

I spent quite some time trying to decide between the concert clip that ran of the opener clip of "Fanfare." It too was incredible.

duh

Edited by Steve Knob

I suspect Tommy was typing with tongue in cheek, given what Geneseo played for opener in 83 .

One of the best closers ever, great show all around , glad its getting some attention

I have this show on record, for you kids; one of those round vinyl things that spins around and play analog, it really shows how much you give up in the digital, CD world as far as sound and being able to pick out voicing

DCI should do a few 180 gm records for the audiophiles, even if recorded in digital they’d have a higher playback due to the limited rate on CDs

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

I spent quite some time trying to decide between the concert clip that ran of the opener clip of "Fanfare." It too was incredible.

Listen to Argonne's version of Fanfare from 73, then Guardsmen's from 79, then Blue Devils 87 version and it's a great sort of physical timeline as to how horn sounds and arrangements progressed in the earlier years of DCI. (Although some would say Sandra Opie's hornlines were light years ahead of their time, so maybe the timeline gets screwed up.)

-Chasing SCV into Atlanta and creeping to within a few tenths, ready to finally catch them, and then it rained. We didn't see them again until finals.

I remember that show. We were one of the few corps that got to perform . . . and we got drenched.

I remember that show. We were one of the few corps that got to perform . . . and we got drenched.

I marched Kilties in 79 and remember the Atlanta show as well as the Murray, KY 'show'. Being my age out year it was and it wasn't a fun summer. If you were around the Kilties that summer you know what I mean.

Ted Boliske

Listen to Argonne's version of Fanfare from 73, then Guardsmen's from 79, then Blue Devils 87 version and it's a great sort of physical timeline as to how horn sounds and arrangements progressed in the earlier years of DCI. (Although some would say Sandra Opie's hornlines were light years ahead of their time, so maybe the timeline gets screwed up.)

Also listen to a recording of Keith Markey's arrangement of "Fanfare" performed by the 1968 Air Force Academy Drum Corps...where it all began.