DCA ALL AGE ?

I am one of those vets referred to that is a bit older than the rest of the corps . I'll be 63 this June. Resumed drum corps in 2003 with the Cabs after 35 years out. So, as everyone said before me, just evaluate your fitness, get in shape and go for it. You will discover if you are unable to keep up. But, if you don't try, you will never know and may regret it. Also, get ready for the "old" jokes, although you may not get as many as I do.

Just remember - you are not old, you are chronologically gifted.

Doc

Cabs 03-11

Golden eagles Mini-corps 09-11

Hawthorne Muchachos '66-67

Fair Lawn cadets '65

Imperial Knights '62-64

(something like that, so long I am no longer sure)

You are still my hero Doc...See you Saturday...

Well,with that said,i'm gonna go for it.It doesn't matter what corps i end up with.Class A or open class.I do it for the love of the music and,the life long friendships you make along the way.Not for the points.Thankyou for all of your responses.You guys are great!!!! I'll see you on the field in 2012.

I would encourage you to start walking, treadmill etc now. It makes it a lot easier to get through those early season rehearsals and starts getting your body ready to take the abuse during the year.

I last marched at 59yrs old and would still be there (or at least attempting to be there) but for some extenuating health issues. As "cabssopprof" put it, must be something in the water, even my Canadian water!!!!

I will definitely be hitting the gym before the 2012 season starts.DCA shows these days are high energy.

The all age vs senior corps,seems to be working very well for DCA. However,it seems as if the top corps in DCA are full of 17 to 22 year old members.People still young enough to march DCI.I would like to march again in 2012 but,i'm in my late 40s.Is my age going to put me out before i even get started? Would i be given a fair chance,if i were to audition for one of the top corps?

"All age" means "all age" (or at least it should). I see no reason why you would not get a "FAIR chance" in ANY DCA drum corps no matter what your age.

I think the main reason you are seeing a larger percentage of younger people participating in the DCA activity is because DCA is evolving and doing so very rapidly. This makes it more attractive to the younger prospects, especially ones who either want to gain some experience before going after a spot in their favorite DCI. corps or simply to have a lighter summer touring schedule.

The only thing I might say is with the evolution of DCA coupled with the younger members participating, the prestige starts to become a little higher among the top corps and that is where it might tricky the older you might be (mostly in the top corps).

However, I can go down the. list from Buccs down to the 10th place corps in Open Class finals - as well as all 4 Class A finalists and see a reasonable amount of 30+ people in each.

When it comes to the top DCA corps, I think it all just depends on how good you are on your instrument and how good of physical shape you are in - not age. I know plenty of older people who are in. better physical shape than many teens. In fact, I am in better physical shape than I was as a teen (having changed much of my life style, work. ethic and diet in the last 3 years). And I don't even march (just teach). And MOST definitely, plenty of adults who are as good and MUCH BETTER musicians than the young (many of which are on a semi pro and pro level).

Shameless plug time. Not sure where you live but Music City Legend (Nashville TN) just announced today that we are holding a "dues free weekend" on April 30th - May 1st. If available and close, come on out. I'll give ya a shot (if you are a horn player). :-)

P.S. Please excuse the typos. I'm writing from the small keys of my VERY old school blackberry with buttons the size of a mustard seed.

Edited by torn8o

I can't return to the field in 2011 because of work obligations.I'v been trying to return to DCA since 2006.Balancing a job and drum corps is no easy task.I live in the western half of the country. DREAM,HIGH COUNTRY BRASS and, the RENEGADES,are my options right now but,that could change.I am originally from New York City.The family has been talking about possibly moving back to the east coast.No plan is set in stone.I started marching drum corps when i was 10 years old,and marched for 10 years before adult life kicked in.I play snare,and i'm ready to slam!!!! some notes with a drumline.Once you do drum corps"your hooked for life".It is definitely in the water.You guys know the feeling.

Edited by koldsilver

I can't return to the field in 2011 because of work obligations.I'v been trying to return to DCA since 2006.Balancing a job and drum corps is no easy task.I live in the western half of the country. DREAM,HIGH COUNTRY BRASS and, the RENEGADES,are my options right now but,that could change.I am originally from New York City.The family has been talking about possibly moving back to the east coast.No plan is set in stone.I started marching drum corps when i was 10 years old,and marched for 10 years before adult life kicked in.I play snare,and i'm ready to slam!!!! some notes with a drumline.Once you do drum corps"your hooked for life".It is definitely in the water and,I'm dying of thirst.You guys know the feeling.

I absolutely DO know the feeling! I can't wait to see you on the field in 2012 in WHICHEVER corps you end up marching in with a snare on. Happy corps hunting. :)

Edited by torn8o

Let's see... with Doc being one of our oldest... in 2009... we had one that was a year older than Doc at the time, and a 14 y/o in the trumpet section, both from Canada. That 14 y/o is still marching, although not 14 now. The oldest was one of our lead Mellophone players. In 2008 I believe one of our Snare drummers was also only 14, and we had a girl in the guard that was 13/14 as well (her father was one of our long running LP members). I myself started helping on the truck at 15 and was in uniform at 16, and my sister was also a rookie at 16 back in '95, when the average age of the corps was probably a good 10-15 years older than it is now and there were less than a handful of high school kids involved... Although Doc does kind of skew that number a bit and balances it out a bit... By the way, Doc.... Cabs wouldn't be the same without you there. You make me NOT feel old... and I'm not old, but around those kids, I feel ancient some days... I just think if you can do it, I can do it.

To give you a better idea of the average age of the corps... back in 2008, we were asked in horn arc to raise our hands if we were born after 1981... out of 50 horns, all but I think 8 of us raised their hands.... That number is smaller now if you had the 3 years it's been and had them raise their hands born after 1984... I pretty sure there's only 6 of them now...