DCA ALL AGE ?

The all age vs senior corps,seems to be working very well for DCA. However,it seems as if the top corps in DCA are full of 17 to 22 year old members.People still young enough to march DCI.I would like to march again in 2012 but,i'm in my late 40s.Is my age going to put me out before i even get started? Would i be given a fair chance,if i were to audition for one of the top corps?

The all age vs senior corps,seems to be working very well for DCA. However,it seems as if the top corps in DCA are full of 17 to 22 year old members.People still young enough to march DCI.I would like to march again in 2012 but,i'm in my late 40s.Is my age going to put me out before i even get started? Would i be given a fair chance,if i were to audition for one of the top corps?

DCA has no age out restriction. DCI does. Just ask the 75' Muchachos or the 77' Bridgemen.

If you show up early in the winter season,.........no real need to audition,.............it you can play and move, you'll get a spot,.........I've seen it happen over and over again,.............please don't feel intimidated at all,.........

• Like 1

If you show up early in the winter season,.........no real need to audition,.............it you can play and move, you'll get a spot,.........I've seen it happen over and over again,.............please don't feel intimidated at all,.........

Agree Gary.

I think it depends more on a persons Heath and Talent, where one might fit in best.

BUT, from Top to Bottom in Open or A Class.

I do not think any DCA group would send someone away.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I'll echo what others have said here.

You most definitely would be given a fair chance at winning a spot in whichever DCA/all-age corps you choose.

And age is not necessarily a limiting factor. There are people in their 40s and 50s marching in several of the top DCA corps.

If you want to give it a try.... I say, go for it!!!

Let's move this over to the DCA section where it will likely muster more responses from the folks who have experienced this.

and being in the 40s definitely does not put you at a disadvantage. definitely have to be in shape and ready to put in the work. As Fran said, plenty of people much older than that in those high energy lines.

There are several members that I know personally at some of the top corps that are several years older than you are (two in their 60s!), and they manage quite well. Depends on how far you want to push yourself. I say go for it. There are several corps that currently are still looking to fill some spots. Cabs I believe still have some spots open if I remember the last email I got. Show up and see what happens. No one will turn you away. If you're a willing member they will find a place for you.

Well,with that said,i'm gonna go for it.It doesn't matter what corps i end up with.Class A or open class.I do it for the love of the music and,the life long friendships you make along the way.Not for the points.Thankyou for all of your responses.You guys are great!!!! I'll see you on the field in 2012.

Edited by koldsilver

Your going to have to give it a shot and find out.

Some things to consider....

If you have surgical scars older than some of the kids marching you may have issues with the high pace of the drill that is so prevalent in DCA today.

If you are out of shape,,you are not going to enjoy your season. Chasing 20 something year olds from end zone to end zone requires a athletic body and will wear you do physically if you are not prepared for it.

Good luck to you sir.

Just do it.........life is too g.d. short to play the shoulda, woulda, coulda brain game.