UW-Madison varsity band concert

I attended another of the annual varsity band concerts held at the Kohl Center at UW-Madison last night. Jon Schipper (Madison Scouts, 93, 95, 96) was among the guest performers, and was screamin' as always. Mike Leckrone (band director) introduced him and mentioned his resume, including soloist with the hometown Madison Scouts (to some nice applause). Also appearing was Ed Shaughnessy of Tonight Show band fame - 82 years old and still rockin'. Great show (3 + hours) as always, including 280 young, energetic varsity band members - one of which, according to my kid, will be with the Madison Scouts this summer. One of 280, not much... but more than zero. I always thought the Scouts should market to the UW band members. Maybe they do market, and/or maybe they don't need kids from this band, but it appears to be a fine, local, talent pool to draw from.

I attended another of the annual varsity band concerts held at the Kohl Center at UW-Madison last night. Jon Schipper (Madison Scouts, 93, 95, 96) was among the guest performers, and was screamin' as always. Mike Leckrone (band director) introduced him and mentioned his resume, including soloist with the hometown Madison Scouts (to some nice applause). Also appearing was Ed Shaughnessy of Tonight Show band fame - 82 years old and still rockin'. Great show (3 + hours) as always, including 280 young, energetic varsity band members - one of which, according to my kid, will be with the Madison Scouts this summer. One of 280, not much... but more than zero. I always thought the Scouts should market to the UW band members. Maybe they do market, and/or maybe they don't need kids from this band, but it appears to be a fine, local, talent pool to draw from.

I attended a dinner by the WI Historical Foundation last May where Mr. Leckrone received an award. What an amazing performer - the film clips they showed were a riot. He brought about two dozen band members that surprised us with a 20-30 minute "concert" at the end of the evening. As they were playing, the drum beats were taking me back to drum corps days (mid-70s) and before I knew it I was attending drum corps shows again last summer after 30+ years away. So, I intend to blame the amazing Mike Leckrone for pulling me back into this world.

I recall that a number of guys I marched with went to UW specifically to play for Mr. Leckrone in the winter and the Scouts in the summer - so I always thought there was a friendly relationship there - but have nothing to support that statement with.

BTW Hockey Dad - I finally registered as a DCP user after seeing your icon on a post and wondered if you actually were Mike Leckrone. Oh well, I'm sure you are amazing too.

Edited by WIS

Yeah, Mike's been the band director there since 1969 (!!). Amazing personality.