THE MOTHER OF ALL LOUISVILLE REVIEWS!

DRUM CORPS AND PIZZA! YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT IT!

Saturday, June 21, 2003 - Pappa John's Stadium "The Pizza Bowl", Louisville, Kentucky.

A large crowd of approximately 8,000 fans starving for drum corps (and some starving for pizza) attended the first Louisville Summer Music Games. We were blessed with teriffic weather with highs only up to around 80 degrees and very low humidity. It cooled off a lot after the sun went down. Perfect drum corps weather. Papa John's Stadium is an excellent venue for drum corps. With the exception of an occasional triain or plane going by the sound in the stadium is excellent. The field is grass, the pressbox is high and all the concert side seats have backs and arm rests. The acoustics are very dry with very little reverb. DCI should move the Midwest regional here.

Unfortunately the show organizers opened only one entrance to the parking lot. Fans AND corps busses and trucks had to enter through the same entrance so it took a long time to get in. Also, there were not enough concession stands open so the lines were very long. On top of that the corps souvie area was right next to the concessions so it was very crowded underneath the stands. I'm sure they will correct these problems next year.

During intermission they played some DCI propaganda and a commercial for one of DCI's corporate sponsors on the jumbotron with the volume SO loud that a lot of us in the stands had to close our ears. They also played a few tunes, not drum corps, on the loudspeaker, also too loud. To top it off, they had some kind of technical difficulty with the sound while trying to blast something else in our ears. All the more reason to keep drum corps UN-PLUGGED! Perosnally I don't want to hear ANYTHING but DRUM CORPS when I go to a drum corps show, thank you.

And now to the corps. Remembering everything I saw will be difficult but here goes. I had perfect seats... halfway up and almost right on the 50 yard line.

The first corps on the field was Eklipse, from Murray, Ky. Score 52.05 - Second place in Div III. They had a 2 point penalty because they were using Sousaphones... their new contra basses had not arrived yet. They marched approximately 16 guard, 16 percussion and about 22 or 24 horns and one drum major. Their uniforms (borrowed from Murray State University I think) were yellow jackets with black pants. A lot of people were a little miffed becasue they looked like Southwind. I explained to a lot of people that they were a new corps and had to borrow the unis for their first show. This was Eklipse's premier performance and they really can be proud. I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the total package. The excellent color guard was the strongest section. (An obvious advantage of their relationship to the Eklipse winter guard in Hopkinsville, Ky.) The drums and horns also played extremely well for a first year Div III corps. I was afraid they would have problems finding horn players but apparently that wasnt' the case. The hornline played strong and the entire corps marched well. There were some nice musical and visual moments. If they had a little more polish and energy (as well as contras instead of Sousaphones) they could have easily beaten Marion Glory.

Next on the field in Div III was Americano's from Appleton, Wi. Score 41.55 - Third place. The 'Cano's have a very young corps this year and they are struggling with their show. The creative and instructional staff need to re-write most of the music and visual so the kids will be able to perform it with greater ease.

The Marion Glory Cadets from Marion, Oh were last to perform in Div III. Score 55.10 for 1st place. This corps makes up for it's small visual package (just 3 color guard) with and intense musical performance from the horns and drums. The battery was solid and the hornline played with a lot of strength. They had a rather challenging drill for a small corps and they were rewarded accordingly for it. The musical selections did not sit well with me. It's hard for such a small corps to take esoteric music and sell it to an audience.

And now to the Div 1 corps in order of placement.

Southwind, 55.80 - 10th place, had a tough job going on after Crowns pleasing show. I don't remember much of what I saw or heard. Music ensemble was their strength as they bested the Colts by .50 in that caption. The end of their show featured a series of difficult pass-thrus in the horn block that recieved a big reaction from the fans.

The Colts, 59.25 for 9th place, opened their show with a very nice, full brass sound and crisp opening statement from the drumline. The horn charts are very challenging. Brass is their strength as they came in 7th place in that caption. They were .10 ahead of Magic in the visual performance caption.

Magic of Orlando, scoring 63.70 for 8th place, begin their show with the soft ringing of small, handheld chimes (crotales?) coming from all around the field. A strong musical entrance and exciting finish to the opener recieved a good response from the audience. They were very strong in GE Visual (5th place) and percussion performance (4th place). It was nice to hear one of my favorite drum corps tunes from the past, Leonard Bernstein's "Mass", in the last half of their show. The hornline was shaky especially in the first portion of Mass but the ending is very strong. Once it get's cleaned up it will be even better to hear.

With a score of 64.15 and 7th place, the Glassmen presented a rather enjoyable program that features a lot of interesting sounds as well as visual effects. The percussion feature in the middle of the show stands out in my mind. They begin with each battery member using "slap" sticks. (You know, the kind used to simulate the sound of a cracking whip) then they hand the sicks off to guard members and resume playing drums. According to the recap the Glassmen are strong in visual performance but weak in color guard. I'd have to say I did enjoy this show more than the last two years but they can still use some kind of spark especially at the end to bring the audience to it's feet.

Carolina Crown was first to compete in Div 1. Score 64.50 for 6th place. The new uniforms created a big buzz in the crowd. I think the general reaction was good from most spectators. Personally I love the new unis for both corps proper and guard. Musical effect is a big part of this show. It starts with a single chime ringing in tempo from the back sideline and it gets faster and faster. The first hit from the honrline garnered a big audience response. The guard is very strong as is carrying this corps and taking 3rd place guard honors tonight. The familiar "Carol of the Bells" closes the show. Unfortunately the hornline ran out of gas at the end and you could tell they were struggling to keep playing. Overall a great show for them. I think this may be my favorite Crown show in a long time.

A score of 65.05 and 5th place shows that Spirit is off to their strongest start in over 15 years. The show theme "Time" is an excellent vehicle for them to move to the next level of the DCI ranks. A vastly improved hornline and color guard and excellent visual presentation is helping them to do it. The opening music is a thrill to hear. There are some very cool, effective sounds in the arrangements. Early in the opener there is an hourglass formation with the guard acting as the "sand" in the hourglass pouring through from one side to the other as the audience said "ooh" and "aah". The brass charts are beautiful and interesting and the hornline, though a bit raw and shaky right now, is performing with a great deal of expression and emotion. I can't wait to see and hear this show when it get's cleaned up. Definitely one of the best overall show productions of the year. "Nutville" features a quick referrence to "Dixie" from the mellophones. This unique treatment of a drum corps classic is fresh and exciting. The hornline again shines with some very strong playing, great contra line and some screaming trumpets. The show ends with a big impact statement (park-and-blow) followed by a soft ending where they close the show the way they began.... with the hourglass and the guard going back thru the glass in the opposite direction. It's a well thought out show with lots of emotion built into it. If they can clean it iup in time, Spirit could easily make it into the top 8 in Murfreesboro.

With a very controlled performance, the Madison Scouts recieved a score of 66.35 for 4th place. This may be the "new-and-improved" Scouts but long time fans dont' have to worry because it definitely has "Madison" written all over it. This show looks and sounds like a Madison show. The new uniforms, however, will take some getting used to for many fans. I thought they looked just like Pioneer as they entered the field. The opening drill and the multiple fleur-de-lis patterns in the show recieved a great reaction from the crowd. Visual is greatly improved over last year because the color guard is better integrated in the drill. The guard outfits including the "gangster" style hats are remeniscent of Scout guards of the 70's and 80's. The end of the show is pure Madison power. They didn't really peel my face off tonight but I expect they will start doing that as they get more and more comfortable with the show. The hornline is still strong as ever and the guard is most definitely improved however the drumline is the achilles heel as they came in 8th place in percussion performance.

The Canton Bluecoats, placing 3rd with a score of 68.90, have potentially their best hornline ever this year. They seem to have picked up where they left off last year in terms of quality. The musical production is more subdued compared to last year so they don't hit you in the face as much. Although in general the corps is performing at the same level as last year, if not more, the program that has been designed for them just isn't as appealing to me, personally, as last year. This show is more serious in character whereas last year was much more playful.

The Cadets production "My Favorite Things" is almost a drum corps fan's dream. With a score of 76.10 for 2nd place, they feature three drum corps favorites, "Fanfare and Allegro" (a Santa Clara Vanguard favorite), "Malaguena" (a Madison Scouts favorite) and their own "Rocky Point Holiday" which the then Garfield Cadets used as an opener in 1982 and 1983. Malaguena featured some terriffic screaming trumpet soloists and brought the audience to it's feet. By far the greatest crowd reaction of the night. I was really looking forward to Rocky Point but I was dissapointed because the arrangement was too chopped up for my tastes. I was hoping to hear more of the mellophone soli like from the old arrangements in '82 and '83. Instead there were percussion breaks. I guess I'm just getting too old and set in my ways! I was happy to see them use the old "Z-pull" in the last few moments of the show, though. It was basically a generic Cadets ending which I'm sure they will probably change about fifty times before Orlando. I'm exaggerating, of course... it'll be more like twenty changes before Orlando. I hope they do keep the "Z-pull" in there somewhere.

Taking first place and winning all but one caption (color guard came in 2nd place behind Cadets guard by .10) The Cavaliers scored 78.50 in their second competition against close rival Cadets. They continue their winning streak that has been held over from last year. It is amazing that a drum corps can put on such a complex show and do it so well this early in the summer. The opening musical statements are crisp and already very clean. The hornline is already demonstrating the amazing control they have become legendary for since last year. The bright green "Cycle" outfits on the guard, although loud, really do work well in the visual production. Last year some people complained that the guard work was hard to read because of their grey "Tron" uniforms. This year you can see everything! The all original music has un-mistakable Cavaliers sound to it. There are parts of the show that will remind you a little of what we have heard from the Cavies in the past three years. One section of the show featrues the battery marching in and out of the horn block as horn members kneel. Guard members go to individual horn players and kind of flip an imaginary switch which causes the horn player to spin up off the ground... a very difficult and amazing effect.... and very hard to describe in this idiom! The "Spin Cycle" motif is very well displayed in so many portions of the show. Can the Cavies be beaten this year? Maybe. Whoever beats the Cavaliers will have to have the greatest show and performace their corps has ever had.

Edited by MelloBear

I was really looking forward to Rocky Point but I was dissapointed because the arrangement was too chopped up for my tastes.  I was hoping to hear more of the mellophone soli like from the old arrangements in '82 and '83.  Instead there were percussion breaks.  I guess I'm just getting too old and set in my ways!

GREAT REVIEW! Looking forward to hearing the show first hand, especially to hear the rearrangement of a drum corps classic, RPH........it will be interesting to see how it will compare to the 80's arrangment, and stand in time over the years..........

Edited by WoobieATL

GREAT REVIEW! Looking forward to hearing the show first hand, especially to hear the rearrangement of a drum corps classic, RPH........it will be interesting to see how it will compare to the 80's arrangment, and stand in time over the years..........

Thanks Woobie! I just hope they get rid of the choppy in Rocky Point. I live to hear those mello holdovers!

Great review. I agree with practically everything you said, so I'll just add a few comments of my own ...

Colts -- the show was pretty nice overall, but the jazzy number seemed jarringly out of place. What sort of effect are they going for?

Cadets -- I liked their arrangement of Malaguena a lot, but the opener and closer both left me feeling flat. I'm sure we'll see plenty of rewrites over the course of the season.

Cavaliers -- the most entertaining show they've put on since they hit on this new formula of theirs. Still not music I'd choose to listen to on its own, but it works as an audio/visual package, I suppose.

Crown -- great show. Perhaps the most pleasant surprise of the evening. This is a heck of a show that could definitely be a springboard back into the top twelve. Lots of music GE, for one thing.

Madison -- this was by far my favorite show of the night and may be on its way to becoming one of my favorite shows of all time. Great music and a solid visual program. Can't wait to see/hear them in August.

Edited by Orpheus