Alternate fingering 2-valve for G# and D#

Navillus WP

What are alternates (harmonic noted) for the notes playable on three-valve band instruments (with the third valve) that are not possible 2-valve bugles?

(Example: for G# and D#)

What are alternates (harmonic noted) for the notes playable on three-valve band instruments (with the third valve) that are not possible 2-valve bugles?

(Example: for G# and D#)

G# Above the staff is played with the first valve. D# on 4th space or above is played with the second.

If you want lower ones, you're just SOL, or you better start lipping like crazy!

G# Above the staff is played with the first valve. D# on 4th space or above is played with the second.

If you want lower ones, you're just SOL, or you better start lipping like crazy!

D# below the staff is played 1st and 2nd valve and the pitch slide pulled (intonation is tough though)

D# on 4th space or above is played with the second.

D# on the second space, you must be reading baritone clef.

D# on the second space, you must be reading baritone clef.

4th line D#/4th space Eb. my mistake

Thanks. I'm playing baritone.

Currently playing G# (2nd line) as a 2.

D# (4th line) is my biggest question.

Wow. This is getting interesting. I wanna check it out.

What model 2V baritone are you using? I have at least 1 of every type made.

4th line D#/4th space Eb. my mistake

Just noticed this, and I was going to make the same comment - same note... same fingering

The second line G# is an ugly note for the 2v (or equivalent) horn without a third valve. The simplest solution would to alter the chord structure or dispersement. If it was possible, you could see if the inversion would help by playing the G# (Ab) first valve above the staff or fixing the chord structure for that section. This would be my suggestion as the G# played second valve is the true value combination for the F# directly below (first space.) Sadly, there is no true alternate fingering for this note - the true fun starts above with the E series down (hope I didnt confuse you).

As long as the D# is not the space below the staff you can play it (below the staff cannot on 2v without serious conflicts in tone/pitch) you can play the D# (Eb) on the 4th Line as second valve. That is the normal valve combination for that note in its true range, 2/3 is the alternate fingering at that point.

Wow. This is getting interesting. I wanna check it out.

What model 2V baritone are you using? I have at least 1 of every type made.

I own/play two 2-V baritones:

• Getzen Titleist with horizontal piston+rotary - surplus of Magnificent Yankees
  • (my favorite) Olds Ultratone "I" with horizontal piston+rotary - surplus of Mighty St. Joe's of Batavia.

Also, when I joined Defenders Alumni Corps, I picked a Kanstul 2V Custom Classic(piston-piston). It is etched "Commandant's Own." Every 5 yrs, the USMC D&B Corps trades-in their exclusively-made bugles. Our corps director bought some of the trade-in's and I'm playing one.

Spam16: I understand completely and thanks. I'm looking for a "harmonic alternate fingering" that produces a pleasing harmony.. Example I'm not trying to play an identically-intoned G# or D#, but a note that compliments the G# and D# being played by the others in the baritone section playing 3V's.

Again, thanks.

Edited by Navillus WP

Spam16: I understand completely and thanks. I'm looking for a "harmonic alternate fingering" that produces a pleasing harmony.. Example I'm not trying to play an identically-intoned G# or D#, but a note that compliments the G# and D# being played by the others in the baritone section playing 3V's.

Again, thanks.

Ah makes sense, but every instance of the note could change based on what the chord structure is - so it would almost be easier just to play another parts note to make sure it fits because it will be on a note to note, chord by chord basis.