Bugle cleaning question

dasboot

I've used turtle wax on a couple of horns. It makes cleaning a breeze for a long time afterwards, a quick wipe and you're done!

ive actually used turtle waxes snappy shine, its a spray polish detailers use for auction cars works very well

Edited by oldschool1180

Picked up a tub of turtle wax hardshell today. Walmart doesnt seem to carry much else these days. Gonna try it on one of my lower-valued horns first tonight.

Well, I ended up using the silver polish. I went to a local hardware store and got wright's silver cream, which worked well on my contra. I didn't see any wear on the horn's finish. It looks amazing now. The polish says to wash the horn immediately afterwards, which I think might of helped. Thanks everyone for the advice on how to clean a horn.

Now if only there were a corps on Cape Cod in which I could use the horn, or any corps at all for that matter.

I assume it is too late for DCI Open Class or World Class corps but if you have time and $ to travel check them out anyway including Crusaders, Spartans, and Open Class Corps from Ct. If you want to just play some and have some fun, I think you would be welcome to sit in at a rehearsal and /or join for a while any of the following Pembroke Imperials, Rockland Defenders, StKevins who practice in Randolph and Quincy, or Crusaders Senior Corps. You may already know about them, alumni corps, ages of members vary younger members in Pembroke and Defenders

• 2 years later...

Has anyone heard of wrapping the horn in aluminum foil and submerging it in hot water that has dissolved baking soda in it? My concern with using a polish is that eventually it will wear off the silver. I read the baking soda solution in a couple of places (and saw the before/after pictures) but just seems kind of out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't wrap your silver horn in aluminum foil ! You will scratch the heck out of it !!!

Use this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CGgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3m.com%2Fproduct%2Finformation%2FTarni-Shield-Cleaner.html&ei=x9o_UvP-H6vpiwLaiYGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNF-7iLGXnbcT2h27uI_5HAIxXWGcQ&sig2=rm1xpbEfCbNV7LMRic_5OQ&bvm=bv.52434380,d.cGE

Mix the Tarnishield 50/50 with soft or distilled water. wipe on, let dry then polish off with a cheesecloth or terry towel.

When my silver horn gets dirty, it gets a warm water bath with mild dish soap and snaked out. If there is black tarnish on it I use Tarn-X. Wipe on and rinse right off with large amounts of warm water. DO NOT soak your horn in Tarn-X. It's detrimental to brass. Wipe on / rinse off. Resemble the horn and apply the TarniShiels to clean and protect.