Need advice on buying snare! Please help

I found a lightly used Yamaha SZF marching snare (idk what size) and They said they would do $400, but the bottom heads broken and there's no carriers. What do you think?

too much,.............check ebay,..............you can find them for around $100.00 - $200.00.......

Edited by Gary Matczak

If you are looking to get some chops, just go to ebay and pick up an old high tension drum. Trust me, the difference between an ten year old drum with a new head and a new drum is minimal.

If you want a pretty show piece to put in your room you will have to buy something newer, but I think $400 is way to high. Are you dealing with a music store? Tell them you have $300 and you want a new bottom head.

Depending on the sound you are going for...

If you want your drum to sound like current marching snare drums do, I would strongly recommend against this drum.

If you are going for an older/deeper/ringier sound- this might be a good bet.

Overall though, I'd say it would be better to go for a Yamaha SfZ or a Pearl FFX. This is what most people use today (And actually Pearl has a new line called "Carbonply" that most Pearl Corps are using now but that's pretty spendy I do believe)

Hope this helps!