SCV Mellophone Mouthpieces

Contra94

I've noticed that SCV and a couple SCVC mellophone players all march with a oddly shaped mouthpiece (at least oddly shaped to me). I was wondering if anyone knows what Brand/Model they are? and Their thoughts on the mouthpiece if they've tried it

ahh, Found the mouthpiece, its called

Larry Kerchner Mellophone Mouthpiece

still would like some thoughts on the mouthpiece itself. Anyone ever play on one?

Some people hate them and some people love them and swear by them. Haven't found too many people who are in the middle.

We used them at Fusion in 08 and at Bush in 09. They helped with some of the projection issues of the horns we were using those years and allowed for a more controlled, fatter sound. On the horns we used at Bush in 2010 and on what we're playing on at Windsor Regiment this year, I personally don't feel they're a good match.

I like playing on them, because they're comfortable and I feel more in control while moving and playing. It also helps keep the younger, more inexperienced player playing center instead of up or down wind too much. They assist with a good unification of sound on certain horns.

Just my opinion. There are people here who I'm sure will think I'm a moron. That's fine.

We use these in my college band. I marched a regular horn mouthpiece with an adapter in high school, so it was a bit of a change for me. At first, I hated it. By the end of band camp, I liked it. Horn mouthpieces, like horns, are highly temperamental. You need your chops placed on it just so. The Kerchners are slightly more forgiving. They're also easier on the chops, which is nice for a long football game day (or, I imagine, weeks of all days). I did find, as someone who always enjoyed lower horn parts, that it limited my lower range even more than the mellophone itself did. But it expanded my upper range much more easily, too. So...compromise, I suppose.