Circle City, IN

So far I've just seen X-men and Madison.

Love Crossmen's musical selection. Putting out some real sound... and with screamers! Looks like a great classic drum corps show.

Madison... Wowzers! What a great show! Sounds like a much stronger horn line compared to last year. I have no idea how a show like this will score when all is said and done, but I have a feeling this will be my favorite of the year.

That's the reason I'm such a big fan of Chuck Naffier's writing. He writes for the leads (when he has the talent to pull it off). All you've gotta do is look at his writing for Crossmen last time around. When he's got the horses, a Chuck horn book is a lead sop's dream.

I didn't watch Pio yet, so I can't comment on them.

Crossmen- Very nicely put together program. I appreciate the screamers' presence throughout the show. It gives it a nice "old school" feel to it. If these kids step up to the plate, this could be a really great show come August. Possibly at top 12 contender.

Troopers- Honestly, I was disappointed. I know there was a winding road tarp/prop that they didn't put onto the field, and I've been told their show isn't complete yet. That being said, the indidivual marching has gotten better, but the overall design of the show just didn't work for me. The akward pauses of silence (about 4 or 5 of them) seemed really, well, akward and out of place. Not sure if some narriation is going to come into play. The hornline had a couple of good moments (like the 20 second chord at end of show), but really just too many instances of immature sounds coming out of them. Hopefully that'll all change throughout the season, but for now, I just don't see them getting back into the hunt for top 12.

Madison- WOW. I heard the trill at the beginning (ala 2010) and I said to myself, "No, they're not gonna..... THEY DID IT AGAIN!!!!" I hope that becomes a signature thing for Madison in the years to come. The show itself had great flow, and a really strong front half. The transition into the closer was a little strange, but otherwise I really enjoyed this show. ALOT. It definitely has a Top 8 quality and feel to it. If they keep up the momentum all summer, I can honestly see them getting as high as 6th come Finals.

• Like 3

Crossmen- Very nicely put together program. I appreciate the screamers' presence throughout the show. It gives it a nice "old school" feel to it. If these kids step up to the plate, this could be a really great show come August. Possibly at top 12 contender.

Troopers- Honestly, I was disappointed. I know there was a winding road tarp/prop that they didn't put onto the field, and I've been told their show isn't complete yet. That being said, the indidivual marching has gotten better, but the overall design of the show just didn't work for me. The akward pauses of silence (about 4 or 5 of them) seemed really, well, akward and out of place. Not sure if some narriation is going to come into play. The hornline had a couple of good moments (like the 20 second chord at end of show), but really just too many instances of immature sounds coming out of them. Hopefully that'll all change throughout the season, but for now, I just don't see them getting back into the hunt for top 12.

Madison- WOW. I heard the trill at the beginning (ala 2010) and I said to myself, "No, they're not gonna..... THEY DID IT AGAIN!!!!" I hope that becomes a signature thing for Madison in the years to come. The show itself had great flow, and a really strong front half. The transition into the closer was a little strange, but otherwise I really enjoyed this show. ALOT. It definitely has a Top 8 quality and feel to it. If they keep up the momentum all summer, I can honestly see them getting as high as 6th come Finals.

Are the judges so off base that Troopers beat Crossmen by 3 points? The only section that Troop lost to Crossmen was percussion. There must be something that Troopers did that the judges appreciated. I think that the Troopers will clean up their extremely difficult show and create a lot of havoc on their way to challenging for top 12 again! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Are the judges so off base that Troopers beat Crossmen by 3 points? The only section that Troop lost to Crossmen was percussion. There must be something that Troopers did that the judges appreciated. I think that the Troopers will clean up their extremely difficult show and create a lot of havoc on their way to challenging for top 12 again! :thumbup:

No, they weren't. For what was on the field, Troopers were definitely cleaner than Crossmen. However, as the shows stand right now, IMO Crossmen may have a better shot at making finals than Troopers. I'd love for Troopers to prove me wrong though! :thumbup:

Great synopsis couldn't agree more with all of this. I think Crossmen's drumline deserves more credit than there getting as well.

Being the proud drum corps alum and now proud drum corps dad of one of the Crossmen brass players, it is very impressive to see the wide support of the corps. They are striving to bring drum corps back to drum corps and not to prop corps. The Crossmen are very appreciative of your support and I know they are all dedicated to making the 2011 production memorable and hopefully in the finals.