Quincy Show and "Off the Record" CYO program

The Quincy, MA Show this Friday, July 1st, will be a tribute to the legendary CYO Nationals and so is the current installment of "Off the Record".

The first person who can correctly identify, in order, the corps, year, and song title of the samples featured on the program will receive a copy of the CD "State of the Art", recorded by the Santa Clara Vanguard and Blue Devils at the Concord Pavilion, in 1980. (It was the first multi-track drum corps recording.)

The sequence begins with the Boston Crusaders, 1964, "Zing, Went the Strings of My Heart". Post the rest below.

Good luck!

I'm in Cambridge through Friday. I was thinking about trying to make the Quincy show, but I'm a visitor to Boston and have no idea how to get around. I see the subway goes to Quincy but is the station close to the stadium? Any help on how to get down there fairly easily would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Take the red line towards Braintree and get off at the Wollaston stop. It's within walking distance, right on Hancock St. Just look up walking directions on google from Wollaston train stop to the stadium. Total trip from Cambridge should be about 30-45 minutes.

Edit: Red line splits going south. Make sure you get on the Braintree train and not the Ashmont train.

Edited by Musicman1084

The Quincy, MA Show this Friday, July 1st, will be a tribute to the legendary CYO Nationals and so is the current installment of "Off the Record".

The first person who can correctly identify, in order, the corps, year, and song title of the samples featured on the program will receive a copy of the CD "State of the Art", recorded by the Santa Clara Vanguard and Blue Devils at the Concord Pavilion, in 1980. (It was the first multi-track drum corps recording.)

The sequence begins with the Boston Crusaders, 1964, "Zing, Went the Strings of My Heart". Post the rest below.

Good luck!

Even for someone relatively new to the activity, assembling this information is not as daunting as it might at first appear. There are clues everywhere. With a little research, anyone has a good shot. Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck!

Official Answers:

Boston Crusaders 64 Zing Went the Strings of My Heart

Chicago Royal Airs 65 Watermenon Man

St. Mary's Cardinals 65 Heatwave

St. Kevin's 64 Charmaine

Casper Troopers 70 Battle Hymn

Blue Rock 71 American Salute

Anaheim Kingsmen 71 Ritual Fire Dance (recording released in 72, so that yr also acceptable)

Blue Stars 72 Malaga

Madison Scouts 75 Slaughter on 10th Avenue

Blue Devils 80 You Gotta Try

North Star 79 Ole'

27th Lancers 81 Crown Imperial

Santa Clara Vanguard 83 Giannini - Symphony No.3

Garfield Cadets 84 Maria

No one achieved a "perfect" score in all captions, but 2 of our experts came within a spit valve and both got extra credit for some fascinating back story, so...duplicate prizes are awarded to:

audiodb

and

Elphaba

(Quote from famous drum corps personality: "What did you think about that tie, Pepe?" "Tie? Jeez, I had it closer than that!")

Congratulations to you both. Please send me a PM indicating the address to which I should forward your copies of "State of the Art". Thanks to everyone who honored the recorded history by participating.

0 Official Answers:

Boston Crusaders 64 Zing Went the Strings of My Heart

Chicago Royal Airs 65 Watermenon Man

St. Mary's Cardinals 65 Heatwave

St. Kevin's 64 Charmaine

Casper Troopers 70 Battle Hymn

Blue Rock 71 American Salute

Anaheim Kingsmen 71 Ritual Fire Dance (recording released in 72, so that yr also acceptable)

Blue Stars 72 Malaga

Madison Scouts 75 Slaughter on 10th Avenue

Blue Devils 80 You Gotta Try

North Star 79 Ole'

27th Lancers 81 Crown Imperial

Santa Clara Vanguard 83 Giannini - Symphony No.3

Garfield Cadets 84 Maria

No one achieved a "perfect" score in all captions, but 2 of our experts came within a spit valve and both got extra credit for some fascinating back story, so...duplicate prizes are awarded to:

audiodb

and

Elphaba

(Quote from famous drum corps personality: "What did you think about that tie, Pepe?" "Tie? Jeez, I had it closer than that!")

Congratulations to you both. Please send me a PM indicating the address to which I should forward your copies of "State of the Art". Thanks to everyone who honored the recorded history by participating.