Championships In Michigan City?

anyone else thinks that this sucks? :thumbdown: Sorry to use such language, but that venue is just plain poor. It was almost too small last year, but more importantly, the corp members look forward to performing in Lucas Oil. I am on the west coast, but Stanford and UOP are far superior to Michigan City. Even DVC is better.

The actual city and people are great... Friendly and supportive. But, the venue leaves much to be desired.

Treating Open Class as important, as was done in the last few years at finals, should be done. I understand the money, but this is pretty rotten.

• Like 1

It's important to understand all the changes that have been made this year. While the championships for Open Class are in Michigan City, all corps are then invited to go to Indianapolis to compete at the World Championships with all corps. This is an extraordinary opportunity, and one that all of the Open Class corps I've talked with plan to take advantage of. Also, DCI has changed the number of groups getting into semi-finals to 25. Given that there are only 23 world class corps, this guarantees at least two Open Class corps will proceed to Friday. Again, what an awesome opportunity. And given the quality of the Open Class shows I've seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised if that top 25 was comprised of even more Open Class corps.

As per the venue, I think we'll have to see how it handles the crowd. I'm optimistic.

It's going to be a great year!

Phil

• Like 3

It's important to understand all the changes that have been made this year. While the championships for Open Class are in Michigan City, all corps are then invited to go to Indianapolis to compete at the World Championships with all corps. This is an extraordinary opportunity, and one that all of the Open Class corps I've talked with plan to take advantage of. Also, DCI has changed the number of groups getting into semi-finals to 25. Given that there are only 23 world class corps, this guarantees at least two Open Class corps will proceed to Friday. Again, what an awesome opportunity. And given the quality of the Open Class shows I've seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised if that top 25 was comprised of even more Open Class corps.

As per the venue, I think we'll have to see how it handles the crowd. I'm optimistic.

It's going to be a great year!

Phil

Hi,

I fully understand the entire deal. In past years, div II winners did get to compete, and the new change allows them to compete in Worlds. But, Open Class finals are in a pretty poor venue. I have my doubts that the venue can comfortably seat all of the people that might want to attend... It certainly did not do very well last year at Quarters. As for the ability of open class, I agree that several corps have a shot at the top 25, and I think that a few have a shot at the top 12.

I still do not like the venue for finals.... Especially for corps that do not a good chance of competing at Worlds.

• Like 1

I have not made up my mind yet. I know that part of what makes finals night special is that was your last show you will every march with that group, and having retreat, passing out medals, etc. So are we having that up there in michigan city with the mosquitoes? They were eating us alive last year. Plus, it's not over, because we are trying to get into the semis show in Indy, so we have to keep the kids razor sharp. I'm not really sure that I like it, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

I have not made up my mind yet. I know that part of what makes finals night special is that was your last show you will every march with that group, and having retreat, passing out medals, etc. So are we having that up there in michigan city with the mosquitoes? They were eating us alive last year. Plus, it's not over, because we are trying to get into the semis show in Indy, so we have to keep the kids razor sharp. I'm not really sure that I like it, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Hi TJ,

thanks for the perspective. Mine was as a parent and a fan... But, best of luck either way...

In general, I like open much better than world. Kind of like college sports compared to professional sports. but that is just a personal opinion...

Thanks,

Hi TJ,

thanks for the perspective. Mine was as a parent and a fan... But, best of luck either way...

In general, I like open much better than world. Kind of like college sports compared to professional sports. but that is just a personal opinion...

Thanks,

Will you be making the trip out to Michigan City this year?

Hi,

I fully understand the entire deal. In past years, div II winners did get to compete, and the new change allows them to compete in Worlds. But, Open Class finals are in a pretty poor venue. I have my doubts that the venue can comfortably seat all of the people that might want to attend... It certainly did not do very well last year at Quarters.

I could not agree more. I think the University of the Pacific in Stockton would be a phenominal place to hold the Open Class Championships. Great venue, perfect sightlines, excellent acoustics. However, the heat would be killer in August. :devil:

As for the ability of open class, I agree that several corps have a shot at the top 25, and I think that a few have a shot at the top 12.

I still do not like the venue for finals.... Especially for corps that do not a good chance of competing at Worlds.

Well, this is where we part ways. In my opinion, we are looking at the top (2) corps possibly finishing somewhere around the 19th/20th/21st place. They will be competitive with Mandarin, Teal, and Surf. And this is coming from a huge BDB fan. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

Cali.

I think one reason they went with Michigan City was that it is fairly centrally located. I think this is why they have gone with Indy for finals for World Class for ever into the future. Sure, the groups from the coasts have to travel, but it seems to be a reasonable amount of travel. I'm just guessing at this. I just think if you held it on the west coast, you would have lots of groups on the east coast not compete due to the economic realities of a crappy economy and high fuel prices. Likewise, if you held it on the east coast, maybe the same problem occurs for the west coast corps. Plus, if it is going to be this format where they want open class corps to compete in Indy anyway, you almost have to have it somewhere close, and Michigan City is only a few hours away. Now, Maybe the answer would be to try to get a hold of a nice college stadium, and there's plenty that could host a great show in the midwest (Bloomington comes to mind), but I guess that would cost DCI more money, so we make do with what we are going to have. I don't know what the crowds will be like. I know from a playing standpoint we really enjoyed the show there last year. The stadium is definitely loud, I do remember that.

But these are just my opinions.

I could not agree more. I think the University of the Pacific in Stockton would be a phenominal place to hold the Open Class Championships. Great venue, perfect sightlines, excellent acoustics. However, the heat would be killer in August. :devil:

Well, this is where we part ways. In my opinion, we are looking at the top (2) corps possibly finishing somewhere around the 19th/20th/21st place. They will be competitive with Mandarin, Teal, and Surf. And this is coming from a huge BDB fan. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

Cali.

so wait,..are you saying that there will potentially be more than 25 corps at quaterfinals, and while they will name a top 25,..........17 go on to prelims the next day?

As someone who ACTUALLY marched at Michigan City - the venue was great- and I personally think it's a great performance area for the smaller groups. I much rather perform outside, under the lights with a PACKED house...then in the echo-y sparsely filled stadium of LOS. I had a much better performance at pre-lims...it was much more emotional than any performance at LOS.

• Like 1