Minneapolis - where to stay, what to do?

The Twin Cities is one of the most bike friendly cities in the country, and there are many bike reatal stations around town. Just look for the pretty green bikes. If you are near downtown you can bike part of the Grand Rounds. It's very easy to find, and well marked. If you get lost people up here are very friendly and will get you straightend around.

Very contemporary. Can be fun. I personally prefer the Minnesota Institue of Arts. That's where the historical collections are and it is fabulous.

Agreed! It's just south of downtown Mpls and very easy to find.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Institute of Arts is one of the better art museums I have found anywhere in the world.

A real gem. Can't believe it is free.

I still remember the first time I went in there...

For free, I saw:

Monet

Manet

Warhol

Pollack

Banksy

Michaelangelo

Salvador Dali

Picasso

Van Gogh

It was unexpected.

Mall of America, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Sculpture Garden, Guthrie Theater, Minnesota Twins, Science Museum of Minnesota, Minnesota Zoo, Minnehaha Falls, Uptown Minneapolis, Downtown Minneapolis, Lake Calhoun, Dakota Jazz Club, Artists' Quarter, Walker Arts Center, Minnesota Historical Society, Stillwater, Jonathon Paddleford, Ordway Theater, ...

just for starters. :smile:

Thanks! That should keep us busy til noon or so, anything else you can think of for the rest of the day :smile::tongue:

I second Twins game. Target Field is one of the best new parks in the MLB. The experience can be appreciated by any fan. Plus, StubHub usually has good deals (make sure to order a day or two before).

As far as dining, all of the places mentioned are worth checking out.

For some pre-show grub, I would recommend Mesa (just a few blocks west of the stadium on University Ave). By far my favorite pizza-by-the-slice place (yes, I know it's a rip-off of Ian's in Madison).

For "finer" dining options, I would give St. Paul an edge over Minneapolis (as far as downtown options ... places like uptown in Minneapolis are worth checking out for a late night stroll). Happy Gnome has a great menu, especially for beer connoisseurs.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. :worthy: :worthy: I'm sure the wife and 16 year old daughter will want a say, so we will see.

Scouts only have a partial day of rehearsal and then some free time according to their website, not sure if our drummer will want to spend one of his free days with the old farts.

Who are the Twins playing? We are Rays fans from SW Florida and baseball is appealing.

Michael, it would be a privilege to spend some time with you. I'll lobby the bosses.

The beer haunts sound wonderful. It's almost impossible to get "real" beer in our neck of the woods.

We love jazz, any restrictions on 16 year olds at the jazz venue?

Hotel suggestions? Who has the most comfortable beds in the area?

Thanks Again! Jim