Crossmen

All this being said, I agree with the first post. I am loving this show and its great for me to listen to. I cant wait to see how the season ends up and whats on tap for 2012

"There have definitely been problems within the organization, but from what I can tell, people are doing what they can to fix that. An entirely new staff top to bottom, and hopefully as the corps continues to improve we can attract more experienced members and keep hold of the ones we have for those years they want to march."

I agree. I've heard things are starting to turn around. It might take awhile though, that's what's so tough about it. When you get in a pit, you've got to claw your way out. If they continue to work hard enough and make smart decisions, I think they'll find their way.

Edited by Stick Stack
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying. It's probably better for them to stay at the corps they're at, they're less selfish than I am. I personally, wanted to make sure that I was spending 3 months at the best program I could. Personally, I feel like there are quite a few corps out there that have really strong programs. Crossmen is just not currently one of them. There's a reason why they are placing where they are.

I like Crossmen's show this year... sort of. They've got a lot of heart. But it's just so dirty. That's a lack of training and experience. This is tough to say because they have had so many strong shows in the past that just make your heart melt after you pick up your jaw from the floor. Perhaps they will rebuild it. Perhaps they won't. With only a select few seasons for most kids to march these days, it wouldn't be my top pick. But that's me.

There are the same amount of seasons now than there were in the 70s. I don't the think the age-range changed, did it?

Some of the biggest names in DCI marched (and aged-out) with the Crossmen; Thurston, Hopkins, Hannum, Bridges, just to name a few....

The word "drum corps" on your resume is what gets you the job, not the corps name(s).

This activity is about taking pride in your OWN corps and improving it year-after-year. Crossmen's turnover rate is bad because there are too many people who think like you.

Jumping in a Lamborghini because you think it gets you there faster is just cheating to me. I'd rather have kit car, because it's something I can build myself and can take pride in.

What looks better in an interview? "I have a Lamborghini" or "I enjoy building cars in my garage in my spare time." ??? I will hire the guy who built his own car.

And as far as the organization having issues; I don't know where you get that from. The Crossmen travel and take care their members very well, and a lot better than some of the elite corps.

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Edited by xbones7480

This activity is about taking pride in your OWN corps and improving it year-after-year. Crossmen's turnover rate is bad because there are too many people who think like you.

Thats an unfair statement. Its not an individuals responsibility to come back for the sake of their corps, if they want to be there they will, if they dont, its their choice. Paying out two grand for tuition (then not to mention travel costs which are horrendous) I will march where I want to.

Its a personal decision, not one that should be forced on by vets of the corps past. I was given the opporunity to march with Crossmen when Cascades folded and its one of the best things that could have happened to me drum corps wise. If I had the option I would have marched with Crossmen every year, but that would be my decision.

You also have to see the perspective of knowledge. If you have the opportunity to march for different corps and get instruction from many of the top instructors in the country its only going to make you a better more rounded musician, which i think learning how to play your instrument better is also something this activity is about.

Its all personal opinion, not something anybody should have a say in except the person making the choice.

That being said, GO BONES!

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying. It's probably better for them to stay at the corps they're at, they're less selfish than I am. I personally, wanted to make sure that I was spending 3 months at the best program I could. Personally, I feel like there are quite a few corps out there that have really strong programs. Crossmen is just not currently one of them. There's a reason why they are placing where they are.

I like Crossmen's show this year... sort of. They've got a lot of heart. But it's just so dirty. That's a lack of training and experience. This is tough to say because they have had so many strong shows in the past that just make your heart melt after you pick up your jaw from the floor. Perhaps they will rebuild it. Perhaps they won't. With only a select few seasons for most kids to march these days, it wouldn't be my top pick. But that's me.

You could always fudge a birth certificate. Which reminds me....

This thread is about how great the trumpets are. Crossmen have always had great trumpets. Gary Caffery, Drew Ross are two of the best. This year the spot light is on Chris Lyman.

Crossmen want to be back in top 6. Retention will get them there. That's all trying to say.