DCI Takes Heat for Phantom Regiment/No Housing!

For regular shows, show sponsors are contractually obligated to provide participating corps with 24 hours of housing. Last time I checked DCI itself generally handles housing for the major events, i.e. regionals and championships.

I absolutely agree with everyone on this thread who has suggested we file this one under "stuff happens." If you marched, you will surely understand that things go wrong on every tour. It doesn't necessarily mean that a corps' tour staff or the people at DCI aren't doing their jobs. I would bet money that there is someone in the DCI office working right now to remedy the problem.

Regiment is a great corps with (by every account I've heard) a stellar reputation off the field and I would guess that some Indiana band director will gladly sell off his first-born child to get them to his school. It will work out.

I apologize if this came off in a 'bad' way. Administration posted a plea on the PR alum page to hopefully find someone with connections. My intentions were sincere.

I honestly don't think Phantom's admin gives two craps about stuff like this being discussed here. It's not as if it's actually being "handled" here on DCP. Don't sweat it. :satisfied:

Edited by BozzlyB

I was under the impression that DCI was responsible for finding housing sites for corps on show show days, but transitional housing sites, like halfway between Monday's show and Wednesday's show, are the corps' responsibility.

I had heard rumors of one corps that showed up to their housing site one morning this year only to have the local police tell them they have to pack up and leave immediately.

This is pretty distressing. I don't know what the deal was with that, but does a local police have jurisdiction over a school, when it was clear that the corps had permission to stay there from school officials??? Can police really be that arbitrary?

I hope every corps does what it can to leave housing sites clean, and respecting their property. Sometimes the kids will leave a little bit of garbage on the ground, like a bottle or two, or a wrapper, just pick it up for them, whatever it takes, doesn't matter who leaves it, just pick it up.

Some police just do whatever they want. In 1988 we pulled up to a show site and parked in a long line of buses near the warmup site. Some cop showed up, addressed the 3rd bass player (of all people) as he was unloading and stated, "you can't park here, stop unloading." The member stated he would need to talk to the corps director and pointed him in the right direction, and continued to pull his drum out of the bay (drum storage was in bays along the outside of the equipment truck). The cop slammed the bay door down on his head, blood everywhere. We stayed where we were, and the cop got fired over the incident.

I said this 3 years ago on DCP. Regardless of any other factors...securing corps housing is going to be the biggest issue in the elimination of drum corps.

And this would be the same if the corps just went to tiny local tours. Let's face it...schools don't want low cost use of their facilites. The time for favors is quickly drying up. We recently had a school wanting to charge nearly $4000 for an overnight accommodation even when it was expected to begin at 6:30a and end at about 5p. It's clear that more and more schools don't want corps staying in their facilities.

So, what's everyone's answer? What's the solution?

The school that I worked at last fall has opened their doors to multiple corps, and during WGI week lets numerous (sometimes more than 10 groups) stay and use their various facilities. Dayton area schools have been VERY receptive to WGI, but unfortunately, an irresponsible percussion group almost blew that for everyone this year in my district. It took the band director and boosters to clean up their various messes to make it alright again with the principal and higher ups. So, just remember to treat your host schools with respect! I know Phantom to be an extremely classy group, so I hope they find housing very soon. I think any school that hosts them would be very impressed with how the handle themselves on and off the field!

Although, not ideal..If they don't mind staying in Dayton (2 hours away) I'm sure there are many schools that would host them...

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Not all schools feel this way. The Atascadero Band Boosters with the help of SCV are starting a new show Brass along the Central Coast in California. We have had it for 2 years and have provided housing for SCV the first year and both SCV and SCVC the second year. Our administration is behind it one hundred percent and works well with SCV. Our community loves to have them. We hope our show grows a little each year. In fact, Phantom came to our show and we loved them. So please continue to support the little shows who love you and want you. May I add that all corps have been wonderful and we have had no problems.

I said this 3 years ago on DCP. Regardless of any other factors...securing corps housing is going to be the biggest issue in the elimination of drum corps.

And this would be the same if the corps just went to tiny local tours. Let's face it...schools don't want low cost use of their facilites. The time for favors is quickly drying up. We recently had a school wanting to charge nearly $4000 for an overnight accommodation even when it was expected to begin at 6:30a and end at about 5p. It's clear that more and more schools don't want corps staying in their facilities.

So, what's everyone's answer? What's the solution?

Individual corps building long lasting relationships with schools based on trust, respect, and mutual benefit. Go to www.bluestars.org watch the 2011 video player and flip through to "The Pella Experience", kind of what I'm talking about.

Phantom just received kudos on their FB page from the band director at Mountain Ridge High School in Western Maryland for their recent stay:

" We certainly enjoyed having the corps in Western Maryland for the past two days. Best of luck in the coming weeks!"

Edited by mendy328

Just want to be clear...I'm not blaming anyone or pointing fingers. PR is just trying to get something secured themselves so the kids can relax and focus on what is most important. As of 55 minutes ago, about 10:45 a.m. CST, they STILL do not have housing. PLEASE. Does anyone have connections or know of someone they could contact? It would be a huge service to the community and much appreciated by the Regiment! SUTA! :)