Minnesota Brass @ Racine

Last night's Minnesota Brass performance was a pleasure to hear and see.

I've never heard a MB horn line sound this mature; not once did I hear a player stick out of the ensemble, nor did I hear any intonation issues. Matt Kettlehut's horn line is powerful and sophisticated and evokes emotion that furthers the show's narrative. For instance, I can't remember the last time I heard a DCA horn line perform crescendos and decrescendos of the extreme and quality I heard last night. They've reached a dark, full sound that is crucial to pull off this mythical, Nordic-warrior book creatively crafted by Program Coordinator/Percussion Arranger Joel Matuzak and Brass Caption Head/Arranger Kettlehut, and Guard Caption Head Gary Swanson. Additionally, I was flabbergasted at some of the mellophone-type runs that the baritone/euphonium line was dishing out! Importantly, one gets the sense that all sections and members are contributing at a high-level - which may be the difference this year come Championship finals night.

A note about marching style; the corps is marching with more of a locked stride that relaxes ever-so-slightly at the end of the step and is best performed on artificial turf or a short, flat grass. This new approach translates into a uniform-stature from the body-of-marchers, and lends itself to the battle-like, ominous theme of their show.

If you get a chance to see the corps this year, take it. It's a scary thought to think how good they're going to be a month from now; it's an exhilarating thought to think that, come finals night, this may be the year that a midwest corps is the last score announced.

Edited by Brassop
  • Like 2

Last night's Minnesota Brass performance was a pleasure to hear and see.

I've never heard a MB horn line sound this mature; not once did I hear a player stick out of the ensemble, nor did I hear any intonation issues. Matt Kettlehut's horn line is powerful and sophisticated and evokes emotion that furthers the show's narrative. For instance, I can't remember the last time I heard a DCA horn line perform crescendos and decrescendos of the extreme and quality I heard last night. They've reached a dark, full sound that is crucial to pull off this mythical, Nordic-warrior book creatively crafted by Program Coordinator/Percussion Arranger Joel Matuzak and Brass Caption Head/Arranger Kettlehut, and Guard Caption Head Gary Swanson. Additionally, I was flabbergasted at some of the mellophone-type runs that the baritone/euphonium line was dishing out! Importantly, one gets the sense that all sections and members are contributing at a high-level - which may be the difference this year come Championship finals night.

A note about marching style; the corps is marching with more of a locked stride that relaxes ever-so-slightly at the end of the step and is best performed on artificial turf or a short, flat grass. This new approach translates into a uniform-stature from the body-of-marchers, and lends itself to the battle-like, ominous theme of their show.

If you get a chance to see the corps this year, take it. It's a scary thought to think how good they're going to be a month from now; it's an exhilarating thought to think that, come finals night, this may be the year that a midwest corps is the last score announced.

Did you see any other corps at the show?

pretty sure there were 3 other corps.

thanks for the review (however bias it might be) though