BD organization

I spent this past summer with The Academy, and I had a blast. We had a phenomenal season and I am very proud to have been a member of the 2011 corps. Last year I had a rough season, between fundraising 3400 to march and barely making it financially as well as a broken foot and other permanent injuries. It might not be a smart idea to march again, but what got me into drum corps was BDs 2005 show. I remember thinking that that's where I wanted to be. I have 6 years of corps left and I most likely won't march all of them. I'm trying to decide if this next season is a good idea. I love the blue devils, but...I don't know anything about the organization itself, I just love the way they march and play. Can any BD alum or really anyone tell me a little bit more about them and the blue devils experience, as well as the physical requirements specific to the corps (PT, sleep) so I know what I may or may not be getting myself into?

http://bluedevils.org

Start there. Email staff and/or call the corps office directly.

What I loved about marching Blue Devils is that you were always treated like an adult and a professional. Plenty of food, sleep, water breaks, etc. The philosophy is to work smarter than any other group.

Obviously, you have to be in decent shape to do any drum corps, and BD is no different. They will take physicality into account at auditions.

I'm not 100% sure what other kinds of questions you have, but just ask and I'll try my best to answer.

• Like 2

...I love the blue devils, but...I don't know anything about the organization itself....

1) Has been in business 54 years.

2) Has won 14 DCI Championship Titles (the most in drum corps history).

3) Has never placed out of the top 5 at finals since 1975 (the only corps to do this).

4) Operates six successful organizations under the BD umbrella.

What more do you need to know.

so I know what I may or may not be getting myself into?

You'll be getting into one of the most successful drum corps in the history of the activity.

...Can any BD alum or really anyone tell me a little bit more about them and the blue devils experience.

My experience was this:

You'll be treated as a professional and as a result you'll be expected to act as a professional. You'll be afforded plenty of rest and food because a well fed and rested drum corps will always perform better than a hungry, tired corps any day of the week. You'll be surrounded by talented players who will all be at least as good and probably better than you. You'll trust and listen to the staff and in the end you'll achieve a level of performance that very few ever experience.

• Like 1

You can expect that I will complain about literally everything. I will complain about having no melody. And when you play a melody, I will call it elevator music. I will complain when you win. I will complain when you lose. And most importantly, I will complain that your uniform has an extra foot and a half of fabric attached to it. I'll do that because it hides your marching technique which I will complain about anyway. Because these are the things that matter in drum corps. Wait, wait. You're a marching member. I won't complain about YOU. I'll be booing for the scores and design teams, duh.

/PoesLaw

On a more serious note,

Best of luck this audition season!

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 1