Dr. Dean Musson

Dear Drum Corps Family,

It is with great sadness that I report that Dr. Dean Musson passed last night. When I get more information I will post.

Mike Steiner

Edited by NSBNole

You will be missed Dean. Thanks for all the good times and all the great sounds!

I am sure I speak for the entire Bones family in saying our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Edited by Amil Muzz

For those who are new and aren't aware of his two years as corps director and five years as brass caption head, would someone in the Crossmen family please inform us all of all he did and what he was like? Thank you.

My thoughts and prayers to Dean's family and friends.

He was a great friend and co-worker. I still treasure my time with him when we did the horn line at Florida Wave.

RIP old friend...

Mike, there are many comments about Dean on Facebook from Bones alum. You may want to check there.

Edited by xbones7480

For those who are new and aren't aware of his two years as corps director and five years as brass caption head, would someone in the Crossmen family please inform us all of all he did and what he was like? Thank you.

Dean aged out of Florida Wave in 1984.

I met him as a fellow rookie staff member -- me with the Colts, and him with Florida Wave -- back in 1985. He introduced himself, and asked if I wanted a beer! Then we taped commentary for each other's brass lines. He stayed with Wave through 1989.

He was with Busch Brass at the theme park for a couple of years, when Jeff Bridges and I were able to talk him into coming to the Colts for a couple days in Alabama in 1991. I called him after DCI, and asked if he would like to team up with the Colts brass line. He said yes, and from 1992 - 1999 we placed the Colts in finals 6 of the next 8 years, taking 7th in brass in 1996.

I got to work with him again from 2000 - 2003. He was hired as the Crossmen brass caption head, and he wanted me to be the arranger. I will always be grateful for such a great friend!! He was the corps director as well as brass caption head from 2002 - 2003.

After 2003, Dean went on to teach the Glassmen for a couple of seasons, maintaining the Florida Wave/Colts connections he'd made over the years with Frank Williams.

I can't write anymore right now -- but that's the bare-bones version.

:worthy:

Chuck

• Like 1

Dean was, among other things, responsible for turning the Crossmen hornline from a perennial also-ran into a serious powerhouse from 2000-2003.