Jim Ott Brass Ensemble

I've posted an excerpt from Spirit 1980 on Facebook ... it's the EXACT arrangement that we'll be learning next week.

Come on down!

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted an excerpt from Spirit 1980 on Facebook ... it's the EXACT arrangement that we'll be learning next week.

Come on down!

Jeff, that bit, and some of the BD charts from the mid 70's just make chills go down my back! Especially hearing Bonnie blast out those solos! She was my hero back then, and still is! Is she still playing at all? It would be great to get her to chime in on her bro's work! Just like old times. Jeff, that's one time I really envy you! Playing Jim's music, in a line with Bonnie, her doing solos. Cool!

Hunter started marching in either 79 or 80 (79 I believe?) and aged out in '85. He played mellophone until he moved to sop in 1981 and stayed there till he aged out.

Joel Schultz was indeed the quintessential soloist on Georgia and the one that all of us who played it after him aspired to sound like.

Sam, you probably remember Hunter playing it at retreats in the 80's. If I remember correctly, Lee Beatty played the solo in the show in 1981. Hunter and I and a couple others played it from '82 through '86 when it was passed on to Mike Elam the "screamer" from the corps 1987 show. After that, I don't remember... too many years, too many hornlines since then. LOL

Take care, AA