Is 5 months enough?

TrevorMello72

Is 5 months enough to march in a drum corps? I have been playing mellophone for 5 months, but I have played Tenor Sax for 5 years, I practice my mellophone for at least 1-2 hours everyday. Is there anything I should know? Just looking for opinions so that I can work based around that.

Edited by TrevorMello72

Some people march in drum corps with even less experience than that. If you feel you may be ready, or are willing to take the next step, go to a rehearsal camp and see how things go. You'll immediately see what's expected of you, and you'll know where you stack up in terms of readiness and preparation. Then you'll either be in and moving at a good pace, or you'll know what to do next in order to improve.

I hope this helps! You can PM me with any questions if you want.

We had a girl come to a December audition camp last year with a week on mellophone (originally a flute player) end up marching with us all the way to finals. I myself am a double reed player originally, but I had time (years) to develop brass chops before going to drum corps. In any case, you definitely sound like you have the drive to make it happen, so make it happen!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DOOOOO IT! I went to my first camp having only spent about 2 hours on a trumpet. Now I am going into my 4th season of corps.

if you think your skills would be best cultivated in an open class environment go for it. there is nothing bad about open class and they will be more willing to work with a beginner.

You can't count the number of people who switched from wind to brass just so they could march corps. The list would be almost endless.

I strongly recomend just trying it out. I started out on flute, then switched to trombone and marched trombone in the high school marching band after only 2-3 months. I bet you will do just fine.:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

The answer is simple. Regardless what you have done in the past, don't allow self imposed limitations to rule your desires. Just get out there and do it. Believe me when I say that there is more to drumcorps besides playing a brass instrument. Do it!

• Like 1