Thinking about buying a euphonium

Ch1k3n

Hello guys!

I am thinking about buying a current-brand marching euphonium. I would like everyone's opinion on all the current euphs out there (Jupiter Quantum, SB Kings, the Yamaha, etc.)

It is a good tool to practice on for drum corps and my school doesn't one a marching euphonium. Price is a biggie, and if any corps are selling their old instruments, I would like to know that too!

Thanks!

Hello guys!

I am thinking about buying a current-brand marching euphonium. I would like everyone's opinion on all the current euphs out there (Jupiter Quantum, SB Kings, the Yamaha, etc.)

It is a good tool to practice on for drum corps and my school doesn't one a marching euphonium. Price is a biggie, and if any corps are selling their old instruments, I would like to know that too!

Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, what corps are you marching in or auditioning for? Personally, I would try to get the same horn that my corps uses. That being said, My personal favorite horn for marching is a Dynasty. Despite the fact that I am a tuba player, I occasionally play euphonium. I personally do not like the Yamaha horns. I find that Yamaha low brass is stuffy. I have not tried the quantum or the system blue horns, so I can't really chime in on those. On the topic of the Dynasty, I know that the Corpsvets of Atlanta have at least one Dynasty euphonium for sale

If you don't mind me asking, what corps are you marching in or auditioning for? Personally, I would try to get the same horn that my corps uses. That being said, My personal favorite horn for marching is a Dynasty. Despite the fact that I am a tuba player, I occasionally play euphonium. I personally do not like the Yamaha horns. I find that Yamaha low brass is stuffy. I have not tried the quantum or the system blue horns, so I can't really chime in on those. On the topic of the Dynasty, I know that the Corpsvets of Atlanta have at least one Dynasty euphonium for sale

I'm not sure which corps I will be trying out for yet... I like a challenge so I might be going for one of the bigger ones (Bluecoats, Crown, etc) I just need a good horn that will prepare me for that.

Is there a difference between King's normal horn (1129) and their SB line euph??

The Normal horn is just a normal Euph, the SB Euph is a Hybrid Bari-Euph. It's the size of a baritone (Lighter than a euphonium), but providing the dark and rich tone of a euphonium.

I would recommend looking for a corps you're interested in and finding out what kind of horns they use if you want to use your own horn when you march. Most corps are sponsored by a certain brand for their brassline and will only march that certain brand. I know that the Blue Devils march King horns (and System Blue), and SCV/SCVC march Yamaha horns.

The System Blue "hybrid" is akin to the Kanstul baritone grande--it's not the ungainly beast most marching euphs are, but it has a bigger bore than the standard marching baritone. It's a good horn, though a bit harder to get ahold of because Conn-Selmer only deals them regionally through specific dealers, unlike the ultimate line.

The System Blue "hybrid" is akin to the Kanstul baritone grande--it's not the ungainly beast most marching euphs are, but it has a bigger bore than the standard marching baritone. It's a good horn, though a bit harder to get ahold of because Conn-Selmer only deals them regionally through specific dealers, unlike the ultimate line.

I've always wondered about things like that. For example, I visited Kanstul's website and it said that you could purchase G's directly through the company, but if you want to purchase Bb's you have to go through a dealer. I'm sure that there's a reason for that policy but I don't know what it is. Maybe they're under contract to protect their licenced dealers or something. I don't know.

Don't buy a marching horn. Just practice your concert horn.

But if you're not already built like Charles Atlas, get yourself some dumbbells and tone up some arm muscles. You'll need 'em to hold up that big horn the corps issues you.

Don't buy a marching horn. Just practice your concert horn.

But if you're not already built like Charles Atlas, get yourself some dumbbells and tone up some arm muscles. You'll need 'em to hold up that big horn the corps issues you.

Well you can't practice visual marching with dumbbells :devil:, and besides, my "Concert horn" is a trombone, so I need practice on a valved instrument, preferrably the heavier option so I can be prepared as best as I can.