Winter drum lines?

Jim Nevermann

Are they slowly replacing... or supplementing... or serving somewhat as "feeder" drumlines for D&Bs?

They're not [yet] big in the NW, that I know of, so what I see/understand of them is strictly from YouTube. They don't have hornlines [corps or band], but otherwise, from what I can tell, do and play exactly the same types of things that corps drumlines do.

Are they slowly replacing... or supplementing... or serving somewhat as "feeder" drumlines for D&Bs?

They're not [yet] big in the NW, that I know of, so what I see/understand of them is strictly from YouTube. They don't have hornlines [corps or band], but otherwise, from what I can tell, do and play exactly the same types of things that corps drumlines do.

I believe that they are for several reasons, most of which come down to accessibility -

1) Monetary Accessibility - $1000 dollars or so may seem like a lot of money to some people to march in the indoor activity, but when you consider that students can still hold part time jobs during the week and their fees are broken down month to month, it is easy to see how paying for indoor is easier than paying the $2500-3500 you can expect to march an entire summer.

2) Physical accessibility - There are more indoor units every year and the chances of finding one within a few hours of you is much greater than finding a drum and bugle corps. Kids are always more inclined to participate in activities like these when they do not have to plot as much over things like transportation. We've seen several kids audition for my organization, realize that we would rehearse in different suburbs of the same city and not come back because they "didn't want to drive that far." But for most, if you're within a hour from their house, it becomes pretty appealing.

3) Musical accessibility - WGI is still smartly divided into three classes and there is a large spread of talent between them. If you try out for a world class group and do not make it, you can usually find an A class group nearby that would be happy to have you. WGI does a great job (for the most part) of treating all of the kids in the ensembles regardless of class the same. Whether you're in A Class playing flam accents with your feet planted or in World Class playing flam fives while doing a headstand, you'll play a drum/keyboard in front of a good-sized crowd who will hype and cheer whatever you do.

4) DCI organizations take WGI experience seriously - Players who march indoor are valuable assets to your drum and bugle corps. In the indoor activity, there is nowhere to hide and kids must learn to perform at all times. This means displaying emotion, incorporating dance, and several other demands that add to audience appeal. Every year DCI groups (and recently DCA groups as well) have tried to implement these same ideas into their performances. If you have a kid whose already worked on figuring out how to isolate and implement these ideas, they are going to be a lot more appealing than someone who hasn't.

SO to answer your question, yes WGI groups are filling the "local corps" void by giving kids an awesome musical performing experience often greater than that offered by their local marching band. However, they are also training performers who wish to pursue participation in DCI.

I believe that they are for several reasons, most of which come down to accessibility -

1) Monetary Accessibility - $1000 dollars or so may seem like a lot of money to some people to march in the indoor activity, but when you consider that students can still hold part time jobs during the week and their fees are broken down month to month, it is easy to see how paying for indoor is easier than paying the $2500-3500 you can expect to march an entire summer.

2) Physical accessibility - There are more indoor units every year and the chances of finding one within a few hours of you is much greater than finding a drum and bugle corps. Kids are always more inclined to participate in activities like these when they do not have to plot as much over things like transportation. We've seen several kids audition for my organization, realize that we would rehearse in different suburbs of the same city and not come back because they "didn't want to drive that far." But for most, if you're within a hour from their house, it becomes pretty appealing.

3) Musical accessibility - WGI is still smartly divided into three classes and there is a large spread of talent between them. If you try out for a world class group and do not make it, you can usually find an A class group nearby that would be happy to have you. WGI does a great job (for the most part) of treating all of the kids in the ensembles regardless of class the same. Whether you're in A Class playing flam accents with your feet planted or in World Class playing flam fives while doing a headstand, you'll play a drum/keyboard in front of a good-sized crowd who will hype and cheer whatever you do.

4) DCI organizations take WGI experience seriously - Players who march indoor are valuable assets to your drum and bugle corps. In the indoor activity, there is nowhere to hide and kids must learn to perform at all times. This means displaying emotion, incorporating dance, and several other demands that add to audience appeal. Every year DCI groups (and recently DCA groups as well) have tried to implement these same ideas into their performances. If you have a kid whose already worked on figuring out how to isolate and implement these ideas, they are going to be a lot more appealing than someone who hasn't.

SO to answer your question, yes WGI groups are filling the "local corps" void by giving kids an awesome musical performing experience often greater than that offered by their local marching band. However, they are also training performers who wish to pursue participation in DCI.

Another huge benefit to the way that the indoor activity is structured as opposed to drum corps / marching band, is that the seasons coincide, and share both regional and national circuits. Younger scholastic groups get to see some of the big Independent groups at the same shows and as a result, the community seems much more close knit. With drum corps happening over the summer, and marching band being in the fall, you get almost a little bit of separation of the activities.

• Like 1