Today would have been Bill Cook's 80th birthday

Today, January 27, would have been Bill Cook's 80th birthday. What are your memories and thoughts of the man?

I personally wouldn't know where to begin. Bill literally changed my life for the better. It's a very long story, so I'll just say that I miss him terribly, as I know do many others.

RIP, Bill. Some day more people will learn what you really did for drum corps and many countless lives.

• Like 4

I only had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Mr. Cook once... at one of the DCA Championship weekends, 1980s, only a couple of years after he got Star of Indiana off the ground.

Even though he was a very wealthy man, I'd have never known that from his demeanor. He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

Happy birthday, Mr. Cook.

I only had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Mr. Cook once... at one of the DCA Championship weekends, 1980s, only a couple of years after he got Star of Indiana off the ground.

Even though he was a very wealthy man, I'd have never known that from his demeanor. He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

Happy birthday, Mr. Cook.

At his company, he ate in the cafeteria and insisted that everyone—including janitors, food staff, mail room personnel, etc.—called him "Bill."

Every other time we went out for lunch or dinner, I bought. It was one of his ways of putting others on the same level as himself.

After Star left DCI, I learned I had to have my cell phone on after the last corps performed in Finals because he would call asking to listen to the reading of the scores. He never lost his love of drum corps and he still very much cared about what was going on.

The man's passion was limitless, and so was his genuine interest in others.

• Like 1

Three cheers and a Star of Indiana version of Happy Birthday for Bill.

He is greatly missed and will never be forgotten!!

• Like 1

Three cheers and a Star of Indiana version of Happy Birthday for Bill.

He is greatly missed and will never be forgotten!!

Hear, hear!

Hey Michael, that was only two cheers! :tongue:

I was saying "hear, hear" to the idea of giving three cheers.

Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear him, hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear him, hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker. It is often incorrectly spelled "here here".

It was originally an imperative for directing attention to speakers, and has since been used, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, as "the regular form of cheering in the House of Commons", with many purposes, depending on the intonation of its user. Its use in Parliament is linked to the fact that applause is normally (though not always) forbidden in the chambers of the House of Commons and House of Lords.

The phrase hear him, hear him! was used in Parliament from late in the 17th century, and was reduced to hear! or hear, hear! by the late 18th century. The verb hear had earlier been used in the King James Bible as a command for others to listen.[2]

Other phrases have been derived from hear, hear, such as a hear, hear (a cheer), to hear-hear (to shout the expression), and hear-hearer (a person who does the same).

The overuse of the phrase by an eager member of the House of Commons led Richard Brinsley Sheridan, in one speech, to deviate from his planned text and say "Where, oh where, shall we find a more foolish knave or a more knavish fool than this?". The lone MP said "hear, hear."

Edited by Michael Boo

I was saying "hear, hear" to the idea of giving three cheers.

Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear him, hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear him, hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker. It is often incorrectly spelled "here here".

It was originally an imperative for directing attention to speakers, and has since been used, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, as "the regular form of cheering in the House of Commons", with many purposes, depending on the intonation of its user. Its use in Parliament is linked to the fact that applause is normally (though not always) forbidden in the chambers of the House of Commons and House of Lords.

The phrase hear him, hear him! was used in Parliament from late in the 17th century, and was reduced to hear! or hear, hear! by the late 18th century. The verb hear had earlier been used in the King James Bible as a command for others to listen.[2]

Other phrases have been derived from hear, hear, such as a hear, hear (a cheer), to hear-hear (to shout the expression), and hear-hearer (a person who does the same).

The overuse of the phrase by an eager member of the House of Commons led Richard Brinsley Sheridan, in one speech, to deviate from his planned text and say "Where, oh where, shall we find a more foolish knave or a more knavish fool than this?". The lone MP said "hear, hear."

Thanks for the lesson on proper hearing; and as long as we do not get any There, There's or Now, Now's then Bill Cook will certainly be praised in a wonderful manner! :smile:

• Like 1