Trumpet Mouthpiece Changing

DCTrumpet04

They play on System Blue T1s. Not sure on the sizes.

http://blueforyou.com/system-blue/index.php/products/mouthpieces/sbtp1-trumpet-mouthpiece.html

All it says is medium shallow without any specs. However, medium shallow is usually considered to be about a D cup which would be less shallow than a Schilke 14a4a. On Schilke's website, he only makes 3 other mouthpieces shallower than the 14a4a.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/Schilke%20Mouthpieces.html

I know that there are some out there that are also shallow and can make the Schilke 14a4a seem middle of the pack. But IMO, its not a middle of the pack kind of mouthpiece. If you really want to start out playing lead safely, I would go with a D cup, medium shallow kind of similar to what the BD leads play on. Bluecoats leads also play on around a D cup.

• Like 1

Being a trombone player, the bigger the better as far a trumpet pieces are concerned. I also prefer the darker sound. I haven't played trumpet in a while, so my chops are probably ####. I see good advice above though.

But it really is what fits you best. Some of my trombone player friends are finding better pieces for themselves all the time. I've tried a lot out, but I always result back to my Schilke 51D for classical playing. I also play lead bone in a big band. There I play a Bach 12C on a King 3B. Its a shock sometimes when I pick up the different horns and mouthpieces one right after the other. But I adjust after playing for a couple minutes. Especially since I play with a bass slide on my big horn.

But this is a trumpet discussion I'll butt out. Haha

Just try a lot of stuff out. See what fits best for you. And always have someone's opinion you respect with you to listen and comment on your sound with the different pieces.

• 1 month later...

Having the right equipment for what are going to be doing makes tons of sense. Talking to one of BD's soloists last year...he did compare that mouthpiece to a 14a4a, but another talk with Wayne Downey says not quite.

There is nothing wrong with using the right equipment for the job at hand. Big and open for classical or legit playing, and smaller and easier rim for big band jobs. If it backs up on you, it is too small of a cup, the hole is too small or the backbore is too tight.

Donny

Mouthpieces do not play horns -- Players play horns.

Mouthpiece discussions = Nasty can of worms !!!

Bottom line - A mouthpiece will not "give" you range. It will "help". If you are not a high "G" Double "C" player on your current MP, a MP change will not magically get you there! Arturo Sandoval plays on a 3C, Maynard played on something closer to a French Horn MP, Doc played on a 13A4A and Bill Chase played a 6A4A. Now that is a WIDE range of mouthpieces !!! All lead players. Some professional horn players change mouthpieces depending on what type of music they are playing, some do not.

Comfort is what you need to look for in a Mouthpiece, comfort that "helps" you achieve your desired sound. Comfortable may be big and shallow or small and deep ! It could even be the mouthpiece that came with the horn, or the most expensive MP Monette makes !

Do not get too hung up of finding the "perfect Mouthpiece" because it does not exist. All mouthpieces are a design compromise, Find a mouthpiece that is comfortable, helps you achieve the desired sound... Then PLAY IT !!!

• Like 1