Trumpet Mouthpiece Changing

DCTrumpet04

Are there particular things you need to look for in order to decide whether you need to change mouthpiece sizes? I'm currently playing a Bach 3C and was wondering if their are any ways to make my sound better. Thanks!

selecting a mouthpiece is like finding the right pair of shoes... everyone has their own opinion of what feels right. if your current bach 3C is comfortable to play, you can hit all of the notes you need to hit, but you're looking for better tone, then you might want to experiment with different backbores to improve your tone. this is why modular mouthpieces with interchangeable cups/backbores exist. if your tone is good at low volume, but breaks at high volume, you might need a larger backbore. if you have trouble hitting high notes, a smaller cup might help.

i'm a low brass player who plays trombone most of the time, so that's what my embouchure is built on. i use a bach 3, very large backbore for a tenor trombone or corps baritone, most people play a bach 12C or a bach 6-1/2AL.. when i play soprano/trumpet, i use a bach 1B. for contra/tuba, i use a bach 18. i never could find a decent mellophone mouthpiece that worked for me..

I also like the Bach 3C on trumpet, but I like the Bach 5G on trombone (also a little bit of 6 1/2 AL). The 3C is good for me, but I can make pretty much any mouthpiece work for me if I play on it long enough. Most of the problems with instrumental music can be solved by simply practicing! :thumbup:

If you really need a new mouthpiece, take a few private lessons so you can find the one that fits your style!

• 2 weeks later...

When changing trumpet mouthpieces you also have to pick the right piece for the job. If your playing classical music you should look into concert sized cup depths. 1 1/2c, 5c, 7c, 1c and other equivalents like a warburton 3mc, 4mc, 5D,2m then schilke 15, 14, 20, 24, 18,13. all of those would be great concert style mouthpieces. If your playing jazz or lead trumpet you should look into smaller mouthpieces bach 3e,7e schilke 14a4a, 13a4

a,15a4a, 6a4a warburton 3s, 4s, 5s. For lead mouthpieces check out signature mouthpieces of famous lead trumpet players any of the marcienkiwiecz bobby shew, roger ingram, eric miyashiro, chuck findley, mike vax, allen vizzuti would all make great lead mouthpieces. Lots of other companies have signature mouthpieces sizes used and endorsed by famous trumpet players. monette also makes lots of great mouthpieces. Remember though always use the right mouthpiece for the job if your playing classical music you shouldnt play a shallow mouthpiece and if playing lead trumpet you shouldnt play a 1 1/2c. Choosing equipment is all about what makes the making music part of trumpet playing the easiest and most enjoyable for you and anyone listening.

I just moved onto the Schilke 14a4a, it's a very nice mouthpiece. I just need to start getting in more hours when I get myself more organised.

I've found that students become a bit too dependent upon the 14a4a's shallow cup and more often than not develop a thin tone, and a pinched off upper register. But, to each his own I suppose.

• Like 1

14a4a is extremely shallow and should only be used for lead playing. AND, I personally think its too shallow for even that. For lead playing I prefer some of the not quite so shallow Marcinkiewiecz like the E3/3C. But seriously, if you aren't professional or college-level trying to play lead then I would seriously suggest playing on something else. That mouthpiece can mess you up. Consult a trumpet teacher on that ASAP. Just fair warning.

14a4a is extremely shallow and should only be used for lead playing. AND, I personally think its too shallow for even that. For lead playing I prefer some of the not quite so shallow Marcinkiewiecz like the E3/3C. But seriously, if you aren't professional or college-level trying to play lead then I would seriously suggest playing on something else. That mouthpiece can mess you up. Consult a trumpet teacher on that ASAP. Just fair warning.

14a4a is not really that shallow the mouthpiece i use is much shallower that than (Mike Vax #1 marcinkiewicz) . The lead mouthpiece the blue devils use is shallower then a 14a4a. A mouthpiece cannot mess a persons chops up that person using their equipment incorrectly can though. Ive never really heard of a shallow mouthpiece messing up someones chops when trying to play lead but i have heard and seen a deep mouthpiece mess up someones chops when trying to play lead.

If your looking to play lead trumpet in big band/drum corp which ever, you need to find someone that specializes in lead playing that can help you. Also keep in mind when playing shallow mouthpieces to keep from bottoming out the player has to have a much more focused aperture. Most players that go from a deep mouthpiece to a shallow one instantly blame the mouthpiece if it doesnt increase their range or have magic effects. One reason most people cannot play shallow mouthpieces is because they play with too open of an aperture because when playing large mouthpieces the lips have to take up more space in the cup to achieve a sound which cause the larger aperture. and the benefits of a shallow mouthpiece are not instantly attainable. The aistream also has to be utilized much more efficiently to see the benefits of a shallow mouthpiece. A player has to work to efficiently use a shallow mouthpiece much like a big mouthpiece. There is no right or wrong answer. If the player sounds good, can blend with the section, can last through an entire rehearsal and is comfortable playing a mouthpiece, and the mouthpiece fits the situation that is the correct one to use.

and most of the great lead trumpet players use shallow mouthpieces. Vizzuti maynard bill chase and many others.

This is just my way of thinking about lead trumpet and equipment. There are a million ways to learn and teach the trumpet and some ways work for different people you have to find the method that works for you to help you achieve your goals whatever they are.

14a4a is not really that shallow the mouthpiece i use is much shallower that than (Mike Vax #1 marcinkiewicz) . The lead mouthpiece the blue devils use is shallower then a 14a4a. A mouthpiece cannot mess a persons chops up that person using their equipment incorrectly can though. Ive never really heard of a shallow mouthpiece messing up someones chops when trying to play lead but i have heard and seen a deep mouthpiece mess up someones chops when trying to play lead.

If your looking to play lead trumpet in big band/drum corp which ever, you need to find someone that specializes in lead playing that can help you. Also keep in mind when playing shallow mouthpieces to keep from bottoming out the player has to have a much more focused aperture. Most players that go from a deep mouthpiece to a shallow one instantly blame the mouthpiece if it doesnt increase their range or have magic effects. One reason most people cannot play shallow mouthpieces is because they play with too open of an aperture because when playing large mouthpieces the lips have to take up more space in the cup to achieve a sound which cause the larger aperture. and the benefits of a shallow mouthpiece are not instantly attainable. The aistream also has to be utilized much more efficiently to see the benefits of a shallow mouthpiece. A player has to work to efficiently use a shallow mouthpiece much like a big mouthpiece. There is no right or wrong answer. If the player sounds good, can blend with the section, can last through an entire rehearsal and is comfortable playing a mouthpiece, and the mouthpiece fits the situation that is the correct one to use.

and most of the great lead trumpet players use shallow mouthpieces. Vizzuti maynard bill chase and many others.

This is just my way of thinking about lead trumpet and equipment. There are a million ways to learn and teach the trumpet and some ways work for different people you have to find the method that works for you to help you achieve your goals whatever they are.

I hate to disagree with someone DCP cause its rarely pretty, but the Blue Devils do NOT play on a shallower mouthpiece than a Schilke 14a4a. You may be thinking of a yamaha 14a4a which is a bit deeper. Some use it for picc playing. But a schilke is equivalent to an E cup on the Bach system. Can someone out there confirm what Blue Devils lead trumpets play on?

1330063645[/url]' post='3122254']

I hate to disagree with someone DCP cause its rarely pretty, but the Blue Devils do NOT play on a shallower mouthpiece than a Schilke 14a4a. You may be thinking of a yamaha 14a4a which is a bit deeper. Some use it for picc playing. But a schilke is equivalent to an E cup on the Bach system. Can someone out there confirm what Blue Devils lead trumpets play on?

They play on System Blue T1s. Not sure on the sizes.