Bent mouthpieces in drum corps?

Ch1k3n

I marched with people who had this issue, and it didn't seem to be a problem for them - no bent mouthpieces needed. Ask your brass and visual staffs and THEN proceed. Don't take any action to change your embouchure before you find out if this even will be an issue. This will definitely not be the first time they have dealt with this, and they'll have a solution for you. Also, take it from me - a guy who changed from an underbite to an overbite embouchure to march drum corps: it's not a good idea.

Edited by JGuy1288

I marched with people who had this issue, and it didn't seem to be a problem for them - no bent mouthpieces needed. Ask your brass and visual staffs and THEN proceed. Don't take any action to change your embouchure before you find out if this even will be an issue. This will definitely not be the first time they have dealt with this, and they'll have a solution for you. Also, take it from me - a guy who changed from an underbite to an overbite embouchure to march drum corps: it's not a good idea.

well I am asking because of what Doug Elliot said

"Holding your head back to play can actually be dangerous especially for higher range or loud playing, because it leaves the neck in a weak and vulnerable position for developing a neck puff where air is forced into places in your throat that it shouldn't be. Look up Laryngoceles and Pharyngoceles. Many trumpet players get it, and sometimes it requires surgery."

I REALLY don't want to have that happen to me, so that's why I'm asking.

"Changing" your embochure is a long drawn out and difficult process. Unless you have a certified instructor/Private Teacher, success rate for change, is VERY low. A bent MP is certainly an option, but normally only suggested for severe cases. Bending a MP is a fairly inexpensive procedure and MUCH more successful than a change in your embochure.

Start with a conversation with your caption head. If they don't think it's a problem, it's not a problem you should worry about.

Jeff G