Conn Helleberg

MetalTones2012

Hey now! I know a lot of my posts are flames and trolls, but this one was sincere. (which makes the negs odd)

I don't get the affection towards changing gear. Sure, some changes to the mouthpiece change partial intonation, articulation clarity, and timbre... but none of them ever changed anything as much as a decent lesson did.

Some of the best in the tuba world spent their entire careers on one rim, a few even on the same mouthpiece. It isn't like they stumbled into a great setup from the get go, no, they just spent their time and money on making themselves better. When it was all said and done, they had advanced without even changing their mouthpiece set up.

A good example of this (each to different extents) is basically every one of the old school Miraphone LA mouthpiece guys. Self, Johnson, Bobo, etc.

It's true. There's a real "it's the equipment" attitude these days which I think is driven by a lot of things--not the least of which is commercial hype, as with every other product on the planet. Not to say that you may not find benefit in things like a mouthpiece, but developing your playing skills will go a lot further towards your goal than investing in 9 different mouthpieces. A good teacher can help you find a mouthpiece that will help you go further, but hopefully will do a lot more than that.