Cooments heard In Drum Corps

"Blasphemy I tell you, they took the slide off of the horns and put on a rotor. What the heck is a rotor? This isn't drum and bugle corps anymore! We will see the en of drum corps by 1970!"

Edited by KeithHall

"Riding boots? I liked the Go Go boots cuz I could where them at the disco with my hot pants!"

• (To 27th Lancers, decked-out in the old khaki uni's) "How do you like our country?"
  • "How long have you allowed colored kids to belong?"
  • "Can you fix us up with some of your girls?"
  • "How much are you paid?"
  • "Can my kid blow your tuba?"
  • Like 2

• (To 27th Lancers, decked-out in the old khaki uni's) "How do you like our country?"
  • "How long have you allowed colored kids to belong?"
  • "Can you fix us up with some of your girls?"
  • "How much are you paid?"
  • "Can my kid blow your tuba?"

One of my favorites was directed at a small group of 27 kids outside the Norman Prince standstill contest, the first public appearance of the khakis, by a passing member of the Boston Crusaders; " What? Did you guys just come from work, or sumthin?"

• Like 1

True story that happened at the NT Open in North Tonawanda, NY (I think 1974)...

Police are called to an area of the city and the complaint..."There's a black gang walking the streets of North Tonawanda!"

It was members of The Mighty Liberators from Rochester. They had their corps jackets on and they were walking to Burger King.

• Like 1

True story that happened at the NT Open in North Tonawanda, NY (I think 1974)...

Police are called to an area of the city and the complaint..."There's a black gang walking the streets of North Tonawanda!"

It was members of The Mighty Liberators from Rochester. They had their corps jackets on and they were walking to Burger King.

I believe it. In 1961 I was in the Lt Norman Prince corps. We had some very snappy black satin corps jackets with white and gold trim. A group of five of us were in a car, returning to Boston from a contest in Syracuse, when we got pulled over on the Through-way by NY State troopers at one on their notorious little speed traps. When the cops saw the jackets they rousted us all out of the car. After we explained that we were not gangers, but represented a VFW Post drum corps, we got away without even a ticket.

Edited by reallyoldfrt
  • Like 1

I believe it. In 1961 I was in the Lt Norman Prince corps. We had some very snappy black satin corps jackets with white and gold trim. A group of five of us were in a car, returning to Boston from a contest in Syracuse, when we got pulled over on the Through-way by NY State troopers at one on their notorious little speed traps. When the cops saw the jackets they rousted us all out of the car. After we explained that we were not gangers, but represented a VFW Post drum corps, we got away without even a ticket.

Ok.....but did they take your beer?

I guess you might have heard that the Senior corps circuit used to have some AMAZING post-contest parties. The Brigadiers' Legion Post in Syracuse threw one of the best. Luckily for us this event with the cops took place on the morning after. We were not in any shape to run a marathon, but we were all reasonably sober when they stopped us.

Edited by reallyoldfrt

By Jay-zus! When I read that story, I had the exact same thought!!! :thumbup:

Maybe it's a knee-jerk response derived from all those nights (all year long) on "The Wall" ... I was convinced that no MDC cop assigned to patrol the Revere Beach Reservation ever had to purchase their own beer.

Back to Comments heard in Drum Corps:.............

At age 60, I still flinch involuntarity when somebody hoarse-whispers: "Cop!Cop!Cop!"

I could be holding a glass of milk and still automatically conceal it behind my back or inside my jacket....:blink:

Edited by Navillus WP