Technique issue

kevingamin

First off, let me explain the description. Due to my jaw and the way my adult teeth grew in, my two upper teeth are at an angle. Instead of forming a nice arc, they bend inward, causing an under bite.

What does this have to do with technique?

Well, my tonguing technique suffers as a result, especially at faster tempos. Where most people can tongue just inside their upper teeth, keeping their tongue nice and relaxed, mine has to either pull back due to the shorter distance caused by those angled front teeth or tongue off the tip of those teeth. Either way, I don't have clean tonguing.

Here's a specific example: The brass band I'm playing in is going to play a piece called Gaelforce. The opening movement is 9/8 at 176. Being Gaelic, it's very bouncy and light and there's a lot of notes, many of which are tongued. When I started learning the piece, I first rehearsed at half tempo (88). No problem there. I then bumped up to 110 with very little issue.

When I got to 132, I started hitting problems. This was just fast enough that my tongue couldn't relax due to the shape of my teeth. I start out all right, but, about halfway through a phrase, I lose control and start tonguing randomly. It gets worse at 154. By 176, I have even more problems, but manage to counter them somewhat as I can double tongue some of the phrase at this speed. Unfortunately, it's not enough to play clean.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Outside of getting braces and fixing those #### teeth, that is?

First off, let me explain the description. Due to my jaw and the way my adult teeth grew in, my two upper teeth are at an angle. Instead of forming a nice arc, they bend inward, causing an under bite.

What does this have to do with technique?

Well, my tonguing technique suffers as a result, especially at faster tempos. Where most people can tongue just inside their upper teeth, keeping their tongue nice and relaxed, mine has to either pull back due to the shorter distance caused by those angled front teeth or tongue off the tip of those teeth. Either way, I don't have clean tonguing.

Here's a specific example: The brass band I'm playing in is going to play a piece called Gaelforce. The opening movement is 9/8 at 176. Being Gaelic, it's very bouncy and light and there's a lot of notes, many of which are tongued. When I started learning the piece, I first rehearsed at half tempo (88). No problem there. I then bumped up to 110 with very little issue.

When I got to 132, I started hitting problems. This was just fast enough that my tongue couldn't relax due to the shape of my teeth. I start out all right, but, about halfway through a phrase, I lose control and start tonguing randomly. It gets worse at 154. By 176, I have even more problems, but manage to counter them somewhat as I can double tongue some of the phrase at this speed. Unfortunately, it's not enough to play clean.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Outside of getting braces and fixing those #### teeth, that is?

Don't articulate with the tip of your tongue. Rest the tip lightly at the back of your lower teeth (not on the gums) and articulate with the part of the tongue that strikes the roof of your mouth when you say, "K" (pronounced, kay).

This will take some effort and practice time on your part to get the hang of. Since your articulating away from your teeth, tooth shape plays no part in it. Also, "Google" K_Modified Tonguing. This should help, but with anything brass, will take practice and time.

I have a similar problem (although different angle) and I have a problem with tonguing faster passages. What I learned to do many years ago was to perfect my double tonguing technique so that it is hardly noticeable. In fact, one time at an audition the horn instructor asked if I had just double tongued the passage. Of course, I had to admit it and explain why. He said "OK, don't change then". Now, I'm not sure you could get away with it these days but it worked for me (and still does).