I&E/Mini Corps Registration & Update from Kevin Hassan

DCA's I&E/Mini Corps Chairman, Kevin Hassan has asked us to release the following information related to I&E/Mini-Corps.

*We expect to release the application for and rules for I&E by May 15th (you will find this published on www.dcacorps.org).

*We would like all potential mini-corps entrants to contact Kevin Hassan before April 25th. This is to frame the time commitment given the 9:30 ending time because of the noise ordinance in Annapolis. There may be a limit on how many groups will be able to compete. In keeping with prior years, previous year's entrants will receive priority in performance slots.

*We will be adding a Percussion Battery Division this year. This division will be for groups with more than 12 percussionists and can be mixed with front ensembles.

*Appearance time and order is based on when your application with fee paid has been received.

*This entire event is being held in the Stadium. Some inside, some outside (more details later).

*Any further questions reach out to - kevinh@dcacorps.org

Edited by David Hobart
  • Like 2

It'll be weird going on earlier which may be cool, leaving more time to party... er, I mean get more sleep. :innocent:

Cool deal about the battery division. Hopefully that'll encourage more corps to participate since they could probably just come in and play some show book with a little parking lot vibe.

When your fee is paid and reverse order according to last year's results? That has been long standing and certainly should continue.

When your fee is paid and reverse order according to last year's results? That has been long standing and certainly should continue.

Donny is correct for the mini corps - if you performed last year you go on in reverse order of finish. However, for all new entrants to the mini-corps as well as all entrants for the I&E portion - it is by the time you submit your application and fee.

Edited by David Hobart

The more I think about the new Percussion Battery Division, I think if it's going to be called this it should be battery only, no front ensemble instruments allowed. It'd probably be easier to just rename the existing Membrane Percussion division as this new battery division but allowing more than the current limit of 12 players. Then, simply bump the number of allowable players in Mixed Percussion Ensemble division so full battery/pit combos could compete there.

Adding a front ensemble adds an entirely new element which would make it difficult for those groups that only have a battery to effectively compete.

Edited by Hulka

Not being affiliated with DCA, I can't speak for anyone there, however my assumption is this is an attempt to adjust to the ensembles with more than 12 players that have already begun competing in the Mixed Ensembles category with battery and front ensemble instruments. Renegades have already used this type of ensemble for the past 3 years or so.

Yep, that's exactly who I was thinking of and wouldn't be surprised to see the Renegades change their bass/pit ensemble to a full battery/pit ensemble. I think that's cool because more field corps could participate by simply playing their show and I always enjoy listening to a full percussion section play together.

I still maintain the mixed ensembles should be separate from the battery-only ensembles because the criteria and effects would make it almost impossible to adjudicate fairly.

To help see what we're working from, here is a copy of the 2011 I&E rules with the specifics of each percussion division:

PERCUSSION INDIVIDUALS
1. Any individual DCA approved percussion instrument will be judged.
2. The percussionist may play only one percussion instrument during the performance.
3. The time limit is 1.5 minutes minimum to 3 minutes total.
4. There will be a one (1)-point penalty for each minute over or under the time limit.
5. Time starts with the first note and ends with the last note.
6. Music scores DO NOT need to be presented to the judges.
7. NO taped music is allowed.

PERCUSSION DUETS
1. A duet is defined as two (2) percussionists.
2. Any combination of DCA approved percussion instruments will be judged.
3. The time limit is 2 minutes minimum to 4 minutes total.
4. There will be a one (1)-point penalty for each minute over or under the time limit.
5. Time starts with the first note and ends with the last note.
6. Music scores DO NOT need to be presented to the judges.
7. NO taped music is allowed.

PERCUSSION ENSEMBLE (Mallets)
1. An ensemble is defined as three (3) to twelve (12) percussionists.
2. No ensembles with less than three (3) or more than twelve (12) will be allowed to compete.
3. Any combination of DCA approved mallet instruments maybe used, but no other instruments   will be allowed.
4. The time limit is 2 minutes minimum to 4 minutes total.
5. There will be a one (1)-point penalty for each minute over or under the time limit.
6. Time starts with the first note and ends with the last note.
7. Music scores DO NOT need to be presented to the judges.
8. NO taped music is allowed.

PERCUSSION ENSEMBLE (Membrane)
2. No ensembles with less than (3) or more than twelve (12) will be allowed to compete.
3. Any combination of DCA approved percussion membrane instruments maybe used, but no other instruments will be allowed.
5. There will be a one (1)-point penalty for each minute over or under the time limit.

MIXED ENSEMBLE/ MEMBRANE INSTRUMENTS PLUS MALLETS
2. No ensembles with less than (3) or more than (12) twelve will be allowed to compete.
3. Any Combination of Approved DCA percussion instruments maybe used, but no other instruments will be allowed.
4. The time limit is 2 minutes minimum and 4 minutes total.
6. Time starts with the first note and ends with the last.
7. Musical scores DO NOT need to be presented.
8. No Taped music is allowed.

CYMBAL ENSEMBLE
2. No ensemble with less than three (3) or more than twelve (12) will be allowed to compete.
3. Any combination of DCA approved cymbals maybe used, but no other instruments will be allowed.

Edited by Hulka