27th Lancers 1980

27th's management and staff knew what we were getting into when we signed on for the Lake Placid committment.

Please remember - the start of the 1979 season was dismal for 27th, after graduating over 30 - long time ageouts from 1978. It took 27th well into the 1979 season to make their show work - and they did a phenominal job. The point here - 27th's ranks were filled in 1979 with more "out of staters" and those kids were not readily available to attend rehearsals for the Olympic performance.

Starting in December 1979, the "Olympic" corps was open to anyone - albeit with performing experience. We knew that people would fill the ranks, we also knew people were "overage" and could not march the 1980 season, and we also knew people were marching simply for the experience.

As John2780 stated - we did have a number of people that did Lake Placid and did not, for many reasons, march the 1980 season. We were fortunate that the staff was intact throughout this time period, and great veterans like John2780 were leading the charge.

27th's management and staff knew what we were getting into when we signed on for the Lake Placid committment.

Please remember - the start of the 1979 season was dismal for 27th, after graduating over 30 - long time ageouts from 1978. It took 27th well into the 1979 season to make their show work - and they did a phenominal job. The point here - 27th's ranks were filled in 1979 with more "out of staters" and those kids were not readily available to attend rehearsals for the Olympic performance.

Starting in December 1979, the "Olympic" corps was open to anyone - albeit with performing experience. We knew that people would fill the ranks, we also knew people were "overage" and could not march the 1980 season, and we also knew people were marching simply for the experience.

As John2780 stated - we did have a number of people that did Lake Placid and did not, for many reasons, march the 1980 season. We were fortunate that the staff was intact throughout this time period, and great veterans like John2780 were leading the charge.

Thanks for clarifying that, LancerLegend. My apologies for jumping to conclusions. It just seemed odd to think that people would have passed up the opportunity to march with 27 the summer of 1980 after so much exposure at the Winter Olympics. Perhaps the writer of the DCW article was, like me, ignorant of all the details of what transpired with 27 that winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 1980 bad judging of 27th ranks ahead of 1989. Santa Clara was a more formidable opponent in 1989 than Blue Devils in 1980. In 1980, Blue Devils were somewhat lackluster, though as I say this, I saw both 27th and BD live the week earlier and BD had a more exciting performance that night than their finals performance. It was more than a live/television difference. I only saw Phantom and SCV on television that year and on Legacy today. For me the year Phantom was robbed was 1979.

I think 1980 bad judging of 27th ranks ahead of 1989. Santa Clara was a more formidable opponent in 1989 than Blue Devils in 1980. In 1980, Blue Devils were somewhat lackluster, though as I say this, I saw both 27th and BD live the week earlier and BD had a more exciting performance that night than their finals performance. It was more than a live/television difference. I only saw Phantom and SCV on television that year and on Legacy today. For me the year Phantom was robbed was 1979.

Have to Agree with the 79 scenario. Saw BD a few times that year and they were awesome but phantom were simply phenominal and were infinetely more entertaining.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I realize this is a bit off topic however I wanted to clarify that we did not lose due to a missing rifle although I may have mentioned missing one it is in no way rhe reason. We were flat, BD was fabulous. Of course so much more involved but I needed to clear that up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...