DeKalb night #2

Well, here it is Monday night and I have had three days to think about, contemplate and digest my first show of the year. Above I say “misc. thoughts” because every year I go to DeKalb with intentions to see as many drum corps as I can so I judge for myself where everyone is this year. At least all the midwest corps but this years show, as everyone knows, was a little different then in many years past. This year, I was not able to get to the show as early as I wanted due to numerous reasons that included a golf tournament (just missed the money by 1 stroke, darn!!), trying to coordinate three groups of people and fight traffic. (The ‘ol saying in Chicago “there are two seasons in Chicago, winter and construction” held true this weekend)

Anywho, we pulled into the thriving metropolis of DeKalb to the fresh smell of cow manure. Take a deep breath of Gods Country!! After parking (illegally for sure but it’s only illegal if you are caught!!) we made our way into the show.

Now, here is where I say I have good intentions to see all the corps but for some reason it just didn’t happen. By the time I talked to 10 FMM’s of the Cavaliers, got a Pepsi, talked to another 10 FMM’s of the Cavaliers, give the ‘ol “hey, howsit going” to an ex, I was in the stands just in time to see the Scouts. For those of you who were not there, this is like half way through the show.

Just a quick note on the stadium; I feel that NIU Stadium is one of the best venues for a drum corp show. They have MANY seats up high, many concessions and plenty of parking. If it wasn’t for the small Cessna sized corn fed bugs dive bombing the fans during the show, it would be perfect.

The Madison Scouts

OK, now, I just spent the last hour reading the “Scouts got Screwed” post. All I have to say is what many others have said, “the Scouts are Back!” I found the hornline, although not up there with the best of their lines, quite impressive. I am not a drummer so I am going to stay away from the “dropped two points” discussion. But I did like the guard, which until recently I never really watched. I usually do not have any heart wrenching opinions about guards but I guess this comes with dating a “guard person”. Oh, well, we all make our decisions in life. As in the recent past Madison shows I found their show entertaining but lacking the cleanliness needed to break into the upper echelon. But, I am very happy to hear what I heard and saw what I saw. Keep it going Madison!! and you’ll be back in the thick of things soon!!!

(Note on their uni’s: Liked them but for me, I would like to see that “Madison” red in there somewhere. Up close I saw the red outlines but you cannot see them from the stands. Sorry, I am guy who still wishes they had the red velvet drum covers)

Had to run the restroom. All those Pepsi’s went right through me. After talking to another 10 people I made it back to my seat in time to see:

The Bluecoats

Some words for my friend Mitch Rogers “Great job my friend!!!” This is the best Bluecoats I have ever seen. The horns were great, the drums (will like I said, I have no idea) drummed and the drill was outstanding. They deserved second. They were clean, very entertaining and I could “feel” their show, something that I have been missing in years past. Loved the various “pulls” in their show. Again, great job Mitch and great job BLU!!!!!! (I know it’s corny for us veteran corp guys but I still love saying it!)

OK, I have to admit, I got hungry and thirsty so I again had to run to the concessions and you know what that means, yep, I again saw 10 more people who I haven’t saw in years. Talked to them and HAD to get back to my seat… The Cavaliers were on next.

The Cavaliers

OK, now. I had my doubts about if they could fourpeat. I felt that 1) the judges just won’t allow it 2) the fans would just get bored by it and 3) other corps will close the gaps quickly. I haven’t seen The Blue Devils or Phantom yet but from what I saw Saturday night it’s going to be tough for anyone to beat the Cavaliers. I echo everyone that has said that up close the guard uniforms just are plain wacky and someone needs to smack someone up side the head and say “what were you thinking!!!”. BUT, I was amazed how well they blend into the design of the show. My previous sentence is a key sentence in the fact that, even more then last year, all three sections of this corp move as one all 11 – 13 minutes of their show. I am amazed that they created another gem again. YES, the first few seconds of the show was a little ragged but they pulled it together quickly. Honestly, the first section left me rather blah and needs to be beefed up a little. Same for the last minute of the show. From what I understand, they are adding/changing numerous charts. But the middle part of this show is just astounding. Astounding not only because it is an incredibly well designed section but it REALLY shows off the talent of the kids. And you know what, isn’t THIS what it’s all about?! The kids. You can tell they are into this show and perform it beautifully. LOVED the “pop up” section of the show and being a soprano player, I am not sure I have heard a Cavalier horn player hit a higher note then I heard on Saturday night. BRAVO!!! Not sure what all the whoha is with the lack of volume this year. I felt they were much louder then previous years. They are no take back to the 60’s and 70’s like when I marched but the volume was just enough to add emotion as needed.

Lastly, it is MHO that scores are just a tool to position corps for that night. If someone thought that the Cavaliers were 10 points better then the Scouts then so be it. I believe they deserved third just as much that the Bluecoats deserved second. The Scouts will be in finals. I read someplace on this sight that the kids in the Scouts are just in it to entertain. It could be that this is somewhat true but how many of those kids would be marching if they weren’t “The Scouts” and have the chance of performing on August 9th? Think about it.

Oh, and Steph, great seeing you!!!! We must “tip a few” rum and cokes in Orlando!!!!

Like I said, no long dissertation on the night just some misc. thoughts………….

You're trying to corrupt me, aren't you!!

(but anyways.. yeah, I'll be there! I'll have the inside line on the great Jell-O shooters that sometimes appear magically in the cook truck fridge, too)

the Madison Scouts were AWESOME at DeKalb, my first viewing. What they have done in one short year is nothing short of INCREDIBLE. My hat is off to Bob Wall, Sal Salas, the guard people, Jenni fO is one of them.........

You people are nothing short of miracle workers.

Don't even let anyone tell you otherwise.

:)