Akron Review

After a very outstanding night of Drum Corps, Cadets ended up topping the pyramid once again in their opening compettition! I honestly thought that anything could happen, as the performance levels by the different corps was amazing. Even Blue Stars, who I normally dislike, had an outstanding show! Now, onto indivual categories!

1. Cadets - 70.200

2. Phantom Regiment - 69.300

3. Carolina Crown - 68.650

4. Bluecoats - 67.800

... 5. Cavaliers - 67.550

5. Blue Stars - 62.700

Blue Stars: From what I heard before the theaters, I thought for sure these guys would be... well, to put it mildly, average. But afterwards, I realized i was dead wrong. Despite some VERY, VERY, DIRTY DRILL, the show was very entertaining. The percussion was actually, In my opinion, about the same as Bluecoats. The brass suprised me with a volume superior to that of the Cavies. Very excited to see this show cleaned up at finals!

My Initial Prediction- 6th

Actual Placement- 6th

Cavaliers: I was pretty disapointed with the placement of the Cavies. I enjoyed the show very much, didn't think the Bluecoats would beat them. Thier percussion, in m opinion, was the best of the night. The brass was a little quiet, but they displayed a very mature level of performance, though the actual music demand was not so high. The visual was pretty good, though lacking in the GE department. I also really din't understand the what they were trying to advertise to the audience. Hope they clean up as the year goes on, because this could be a great show!

My Initial Prediction-3rd

Actual Placement-5th

Bluecoats: First off, I thought this was pretty clean, and was generally surprised their score wasn't higher. Not saying I don't agree with the placement, but this show was very entertaining. Very good percussion, very solid brass book, nothing too challening compared to the other corps, besides maybe Blue Stars. Guard uniforms were pretty cool. Good follow up to 2011's program!

My initial prediction-5th

Actual Placement-4th

Carolina Crown- In my opinion, best show the night. Best brass line, cool guard uniforms, and the "Fanfare for the Common Man" exerpts throughout kept me entertainied. Percussion was so-so, in between Blue Stars and Bluecoats. Drill was dirty, mostly because they were playing the toughest music I've ever seen on field, while marching very demanding tempos while virtually flying across the field. Though they placed in the middle at Akron, they really stepped it up in Louiville, winning by a full point over the Cadets. I can bet you it will be a mad race between BD, Cadets, and Crown for the gold.

My Initial Prediction-1st/2nd

Actual Placement-3rd

Phantom Regiment- I really love what Phantoms doing this year. The return of Nessun Dorma from 91 gave me chills! The opener has some nice brass parts, with very good brass and probably some of the most solid percussion of the night. The color guard uniforms were SO AWESOME!!! Visually, they were the best of the night. Very cool program, definetly a Top 4 production!

My initial prediction-4th/3rd

Actual placement- 2nd

Cadets- VERY CLEAN! The defending champs have very good brass, percussion on par with PR, great guard, and an accessible program. Very cool trumpt screamers in the opener. Drill is a little sloppy, but very clean overall. Can't wait to see complete performance!

My initial prediction- 2nd

Actual placement-1st

Thanks for reading! :D

• Like 1