Have DCI Auditions Become More Relaxed?

....there's also the camp 'experience' that has both younger kids wanting to gain camp atmosphere experience (and learn some music) and the older kids that are actually trying out for a spot on the corps.

As for being cut from the corps tryouts, it can happen up to the day the corps packs the buses and leaves for tour - even during tour. That's just the way it is some years.

.....anyone here sense a poster who might have been cut this year and is trying to 'get back at' the corps that cut him/her........??????????? I seem to see a few of these hanging around here this season!

• Like 2

My personal experience partaking in audition camps two years and then volunteering the year after, it's become more intense over the years. The mentality still is and has been to nurture and inspire future performers with a great experience that will make them better back at home/school, even if they don't necessarily make it to the corps. And usually, yes, that sometimes means multiple camps to make the decision to contract or cut. No cut policies do exist at some places, and that reflects those places' purpose to offer the full and complete drum corps experience to anyone that wants it.

My personal experience partaking in audition camps two years and then volunteering the year after, it's become more intense over the years. The mentality still is and has been to nurture and inspire future performers with a great experience that will make them better back at home/school, even if they don't necessarily make it to the corps. And usually, yes, that sometimes means multiple camps to make the decision to contract or cut. No cut policies do exist at some places, and that reflects those places' purpose to offer the full and complete drum corps experience to anyone that wants it.

Can you say who offers these "no cut" policies?

I've been around for a while and I don't think the audition process has changed much over the years. At every level corps are trying to get bodies in the door, bodies that can pay dues and play great are the best. Usually most kids have trouble with one or the other.....we find ways of making it work anyway.

The "Experience Camp" is relatively new. It's just another way of saying "come on down and do drumcorps for a weekend...give it a shot". Yes some corps make good money when hundreds show up, so there is that aspect. But I do think the concept lets kids know that the first camp or two are just about showing what you have and seeing if corps is for you. It's a marketing trend that seems to work.

Places like Pioneer for sure, but I really don't have a full list of who does or doesn't.

#1. corps don't want to die out so of course they're going to have people come in and test the waters for future involvement.

#2. Unfortunately, people get cut all the time. People still get cut in move-ins. It sucks but it happens.

#3. Yes, it is largely based on attitude. Say you have 2 people of equal talent, one of them is sour and has an awful attitude, the other is a sweetheart that gets along with everybody. Which one would you want in your line?

#4 The best of the best don't march in the corps, they TEACH the corps. Members are students, you are there for learning experience. To grow and become a better person and performer. Then one day when you've learned all you can learn you too can become an instructor.

My mother marched in the days of uniform inspections and instructors who kicked dirt at you. Drum corps is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life but I'm glad it's more to help me grow and less to make me feel like ####. My thoughts!tongue.gif

I would say most corps in Open Class and several corps in World Class that place in the 15-23 range or so. "No Cut" doesn't mean you get to play snare or lead sop just because you want to. It just means that if you want to march or tour you can. I have known kids that will not march a whole show in guard, and spend some time dealing with equipment instead of being in every set. There is always the kid that tries out for sop and is offered a 3rd baritione spot, or the snare drummer that is asked to fill in a cymbal or pit spot. If a kid keeps showing up to camps and shows the heart felt desire to be out there, will be out there.

I have to say sheer determination sometimes makes these types of kids the best in the line in future years

I would say most corps in Open Class and several corps in World Class that place in the 15-23 range or so. "No Cut" doesn't mean you get to play snare or lead sop just because you want to. It just means that if you want to march or tour you can. I have known kids that will not march a whole show in guard, and spend some time dealing with equipment instead of being in every set. There is always the kid that tries out for sop and is offered a 3rd baritione spot, or the snare drummer that is asked to fill in a cymbal or pit spot. If a kid keeps showing up to camps and shows the heart felt desire to be out there, will be out there.

I have to say sheer determination sometimes makes these types of kids the best in the line in future years

This is what I was referring to. My situation, for what it's worth, I want to play racks or auxiliary percussion in pit. That's all I ask. And I know that's not often requested, but I want to be involved, and an injury would more than likely keep me from marching.