Fan Network content

Does anyone else have any thoughts about what is being posted on the Fan Network, this season at least. I was really excited the first two years in terms of what the corps were able to add; tour journals, shout outs to home, fan questions to the corps et al.... This year all I am seeing are a few Father's Day standstill clips from Crossmen, a teaser for Cavies and old Blue Stars camp clips from prior to the season.

I am aware that some like BD & SCV have their own managed access sites to pay and subscribe to. And DCI has been very generous in their postings with archive features and other perks. Especially their live event coverage and VOD possibilities.

But in the first two years it was launched, it seemed like this technology wave was going to be great for those of us too remote to have regular live viewings over the season. I think most of the larger corps were even bringing on somebody for the summer season to specifically handle their media coverage. Is it old hat already? Bummer if it is.

Joey Baby, I'm not sure what you mean, the FN has plenty of live shows and video on demand.

Are you a subscriber? If you've been following FN for a couple of years, I'm sure you know how to access the various shows. There are tabs for Viral and 2012 On the Field, which is the new stuff a lot of us are looking for.

I'm very happy with FN. They do a great job and technical issues from the past seem to have gotten addressed.

Joey Baby, I'm not sure what you mean, the FN has plenty of live shows and video on demand.

Are you a subscriber? If you've been following FN for a couple of years, I'm sure you know how to access the various shows. There are tabs for Viral and 2012 On the Field, which is the new stuff a lot of us are looking for.

I'm very happy with FN. They do a great job and technical issues from the past seem to have gotten addressed.

I think the OP is hoping to see more free content. I suspect DCI is pretty satisfied with most of their content being subscription based, and I guess my advice would be if a drum corps fan wants to see more content on FN, one would only need to subscribe to see a TON of great shows/season coverage

edit:

Also, as of July 7, roughly, what, a few weeks into the competitive season, I see 103 free videos in the 'Spotlight' section.

Edited by perc2100

I think what he was saying was that there is very little content coming out of the Viral section like fan journals and what not. I agree with him too. I pay extra for BD's media but I would really like to see some additional media hit the FN. I realize that its not a DCI problem as it is a problem of corps finding time and resources to make extra videos. I understand why corps don't have time to get all the extra videos up but it would be cool to have a couple.

• Like 1

I think what he was saying was that there is very little content coming out of the Viral section like fan journals and what not. I agree with him too. I pay extra for BD's media but I would really like to see some additional media hit the FN. I realize that its not a DCI problem as it is a problem of corps finding time and resources to make extra videos. I understand why corps don't have time to get all the extra videos up but it would be cool to have a couple.

Yes - this is the point I was trying to make. I could watch shows til kingdom come and go back decades into the archives. But what I am missing is the day to day diary of the current season - from the corps and member perspective. I work with kids in my day work and know that they have a constant connection to media via their own blogs, FB, twitter et al. The original two years of the FN, it was flooded with this kind of information and that it what I am missing. As I said in the OP also, at that point, corps were bringing on someone or had staff/ members assigned that duty over the course of the season; tied into their PR.

edit:

Also, as of July 7, roughly, what, a few weeks into the competitive season, I see 103 free videos in the 'Spotlight' section.

And of those 103 vids - only 3 of them are from the Crossmen of their standstill preview. None of the other posting are even from the current season, but all rehearsal camps. :( All the others are teaser clips from DCI and none posted from the corps themselves.

Yes - this is the point I was trying to make. I could watch shows til kingdom come and go back decades into the archives. But what I am missing is the day to day diary of the current season - from the corps and member perspective. I work with kids in my day work and know that they have a constant connection to media via their own blogs, FB, twitter et al. The original two years of the FN, it was flooded with this kind of information and that it what I am missing. As I said in the OP also, at that point, corps were bringing on someone or had staff/ members assigned that duty over the course of the season; tied into their PR.

Gotcha: I kind of misunderstood your OP.

In that regards, I see what you're saying, and I sympathize/agree. I'd like to see more 'behind the scenes' type stuff too, and thinking back it does seem like corps were into doing that when FN first came out, but have not updated with content as much as previous years. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, and maybe FN content has always been like that?

Either way, I'd love to see more fun/behind-the-scenes stuff too