Guard outfits

Bridgemen in mid 70's had Guard in theme costumes. VK too... several other Corps began to move away from the traditional boots, skirt, etc for the Guards by the mid 70's too. Some stayed traditional with their Guard back then a bit longer, this is also true.

I would still consider them uniforms in the 70's and 80's not costuming..and the changes back then were few and far between. even the switch from 82 - 83 for 27th Lancers/Crossmen was a change in uniform, not costume.

Geoffrey

It didnt change from guard uniform to "costume" until the lare 80's, early 90's.

You need to go back and look at the Bridgemen Guard in the mid to late 70's ( fan network if you have it ). There was nothing " traditional " about their Color Guard unis at all. Even they'd acknowledge this. They were into ' theme costumes " in the mid to late 70's for certain. And this is just one quick example off the top of my head.

Edited by BRASSO

You need to go back and look at the Bridgemen Guard in the mid 70's ( fan network if you have it ). There was nothing " traditional " about their Color Guard unis at all. Even they'd acknowledge this. They were into ' theme costumes " in the mid to late 70's for certain. And this is just one quick example off the top of my head.

Yes, but its only one corps, they certainly didnt influence the activity to follow them. No need for the fan network, I have every corps from every year on either vhs or dvd.

You need to go back and look at the Bridgemen Guard in the mid to late 70's ( fan network if you have it ). There was nothing " traditional " about their Color Guard unis at all. Even they'd acknowledge this. They were into ' theme costumes " in the mid to late 70's for certain. And this is just one quick example off the top of my head.

And if I recall, the guard in 77, 78, 79, and 80 and OTL in 81 wore those long black cumbersome coats........every year, not even close to fufilling the paramters to the question asked by the original poster.

Geoffrey

I would still consider them uniforms in the 70's and 80's not costuming..and the changes back then were few and far between. even the switch from 82 - 83 for 27th Lancers/Crossmen was a change in uniform, not costume.

Geoffrey

If you go onto Fan Network ( if you have it ) and look at the 1978 Bridgemen Guard, there is little question that their guard ( in blue smurf like outfits from head to toe, completely different in uni in style and color from Corps proper) is most decidedly " a costume ", and not a tradtional boots, and skirts Color Guard Uniform. ( Their flag bearers were closer to Corps uni proper however that year. ) At least with my definition of "Guard costume " and " traditional Guard uniform" anyway. Oh well, no big deal, whatever one wants to call the '78 Bridgemen Guard outfits is cool with me too. They sure were fun to watch whatever we call their Guard outfits, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Ty, all, for your replies. But I'm still looking for that "1st" when the entire Guard appeared in Costume as opposed to Uniforms. Cavaliers "Circus" show included some costumes, but not the entire Guard.

If you go onto Fan Network ( if you have it ) and look at the 1978 Bridgemen Guard, there is little question that their guard ( in blue smurf like outfits from head to toe, completely different in uni in style and color from Corps proper) is most decidedly " a costume ", and not a tradtional boots, and skirts Color Guard Uniform. ( Their flag bearers were closer to Corps uni proper however that year. ) At least with my definition of "Guard costume " and " traditional Guard uniform" anyway. Oh well, no big deal, whatever one wants to call the '78 Bridgemen Guard outfits is cool with me too. They sure were fun to watch whatever we call their Guard outfits, imo.

Yes, and the flags are ein the black coats.

G

Ty, all, for your replies. But I'm still looking for that "1st" when the entire Guard appeared in Costume as opposed to Uniforms. Cavaliers "Circus" show included some costumes, but not the entire Guard.

If you are looking for the single Corps that " broke the mold " in Drum Corps with Guard " costuming "

it would be :

1) The Jolly Jesters from Canada in the 50's in the Senior ranks and...

2 ) The Bridgemen in the late 70's in the DCI Junior ranks.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for when "the ENTIRE Guard " was in "Theme Costuming", it would no doubt be the year that the American ( or Canadian ) Flag bearer was no longer in the " Color Guard " on the field. I forget the year this occurred in DCI, or the 1st Corps to go onto the competition field without an American or Canadian Flag, but maybe somebody else here could help you out with this, AmFlag61.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

As I recall, (and I am getting a little fuzzy on memories these days) after winning the International show in Toronto '63 the Cavaliers were presented with the Canadian flag which we carried in the Honor Guard in parades & contests...except AL/VFW shows.

BTW, I remember the Jesters...and the Hamm's Indians.

Edited by AmFlag61

As I recall, (and I am getting a little fuzzy on memories these days) after winning the International show in Toronto '63 the Cavaliers were presented with the Canadian flag which we carried in the Honor Guard in parades & contests...except AL/VFW shows.

BTW, I remember the Jesters...and the Hamm's Indians.

The Jolly Jesters or the Hamms Indians were most likely the first Corps to use costuming in their entire Guard... or most of their Guard. My guess, both Corps did not have " costuming " with their American and or Canadian Flag bearer back then however. The Honor Guard Section most likely gave proper Flag protocol and proper decorum to this particular Flag Section in the Flag section itself and most likely did not wear " costuming " that perhaps others in the Guard might have. But it was mostly before my time, so I'm just guessing here now too.

Edited by BRASSO