San Antonio

My top 12 review:

Was right on the 50 and pretty close to the field.

Blue Stars - Still pretty dirty, but very enjoyable to say the least. If they can make a push this last week before Atlanta I could see them in the 10th - 12th range, if not, watch out for Crossmen. Really hoping they do, because they've been my favorite since 2010, and regardless of how they finish, I'm sticking with my favorite corps.

Blue Knights - A lot better than the show I watched on the Stanford Webcast. Less electronics and a bunch of cool elements added. Won't say I loved it, but I didn't hate it. I liked it. Drumline should be in 7th IMO, Hardimon is doing an INCREDIBLE job!

Spirit of Atlanta - Pure entertainment. I don't know if they have the demand to keep Blue Knights off them just because of how clean they already are. Regardless, very enjoyable performance.

Cavaliers - Show is improving. Still missing that special something that makes a show click though. San Antonio really loved them!

Boston Crusaders - Good ole drum corps right here. Not too much to think about. It's Roman, performing at a very high level, they'll fight with Cavaliers and maybe even Madison the rest of the season.

Madison - What can I say? They know how to get the crowd going. Standing O for about the last minute. Very strong showing, while their style isn't necessarily my favorite, I appreciate what they're doing and completely agree with their placement.

Bluecoats - Not going to lie, little disappointed. Very strong performance, but like Cavaliers, it's missing something. "Love Dance" was gorgeous though, I'll give em that. Closer is improved, just missing something. I loved it, but didn't LOVE it if you get my drift.

Vanguard - HOLY CRAP! They were my favorite performance of the night. This show is REALLY starting to click and I think they have a shot at 3rd! They started getting momentum the middle of last week, and they're starting to get REALLY hot REALLY fast!

The Cadets - First 2/3rds, absolutely loved it. To stay classy, I'll just say I did not like the closer.

Phantom Regiment - They just have and aura about them, with the new ending they have coming, how far will they go? It's a real shame that the drumline is so low, because if they weren't Crown would have something to REALLY worry about behind them. Guard is incredible, the color palette is perfect for this show and contrasting with the corps proper.

Carolina Crown - VERY loud! They had the hardest show out there by far, but were a lot dirtier IMO than Phantom and BD. Visual is going to be what keeps them from winning. I wonder if they made it this hard to just say "look what we can do!" I love the show, I just think they might have taken a bit more than they can handle visually, if they want to win that is. Musically they're fine, drums are starting to catch up. But once again, like 2009, visual is a crutch. I have a feeling this is going to go along with Cadets 97, Vanguard 03, ect, in the "if it had one more week" shows.

Blue Devils - They deserved it. They didn't get a standing O or even close, but they were unmistakably the best corps out there. My opinion of this show is like their 2010 show, I love moments, but I don't love how they connect them. Unless Crown gets their act together visually, it's going to be #15 for them.

Biggest Crowd Reactions:

1) Madison

2) Crown

3) Phantom

4) Jersey Surf

5) Oregon Crusaders

My top 10 favorite shows:

10) Carolina Crown

9) Bluecoats

8) Boston Crusaders

7) Oregon Crusaders

6) Jersey Surf

5) Crossmen

4) Blue Stars

3) The Academy

2) Phantom

1) Vanguard

Final thoughts:

Oregon is truly a class act. They're performing on a ridiculous level for Open, the standing O they got was amazing.

Jersey Surf, you guys are awesome! I get the vibe the could care less about scores and just want to have fun, and they're obviously enjoying it.

Colts closer "All by Myself" is in my top 5 moments of the year. AMAZING!

The Academy, a top 12 design. If they suddenly make a push and get really clean, watch out!

If Blue Stars are going to make a move, it needs to be soon. Time is running out! The progress they've made this season is HUGE, it just needs to be kicked up even one more notch.

Vanguard, thank you for absolutely shocking me. Quickly becoming an all time favorite.

If BD wins, I won't be mad. They've got some...guts doing that show and I think considering the Dada inspiration, they're pulling it off.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

Thank you for the review! It's nice to see shows through others eyes.

I wish I could see all of these corps live instead of just the few that were in California. Ah well...next year we'll be at Indianapolis again (perhaps to see Santa Clara competing for the title?!?!). :worthy:

Sounds like Jersey Surf is evolving into the next Velvet Knights, which is great, because neither Velvet Knights or Impulse were at all funny this year. :huh:

Thanks again