A completely biased review of Enid, OK

Ok, Here's my views on the Enid show.

Didn't watch the first three corps. I have seen them enough.

Scouts-They are playing much better from a confidence standpoint, expecially the hornline. There were a few visual problems (missed direction changes, some slipping) but still better than it was a month ago. Really like the show, it's a good vehicle for them. The staff knew what they were doing when they wrote that show. It's Madison, yet there is some depth there that was missing the last few years.

Devils-I'm not really sure what I was expecting this show to be, but what I saw wasn't it. The hornline was loud, had some technical passages that could be cleaned up a little. Overall there was no clarity to their sound, it was way out of tune, and the consistency of tone throughout the sections was not there. Visually, it was nice to see some velocity in their drill, the perfect lower bodies that we've seen in the past were not there tonight (I'm sure this will come over the next three weeks.) For as good as their color guard is, and the are very very good, (especially dance wise) their staging was horrible. They never really created a visual interest and never seemed to be integrated into the overall visual composition. There were moments when the drill was just cluttered and there was no focus. This was my first read of this show, so take it as that.

Cavaliers-The hornline had a few more problems both visually and musically tongiht than last night. In the second sections the faster notes that act as a transition were not together at all. The accelerando at the beginning of the fourth part was quiet bad tonight. Overall the hornline sound is fabulous, the quality of sound between individuals is nearly the same from person to person, not that it's perfect, and there is some bad intonation, but still the class of the field. Visually, the show is really designed with integration in mind. There was never a moment when I wasn't sure what I should have been looking at, and all ideas flowed logically into new ideas, which were all coordinated well with the music. I think the Devils have a more talented color guard (expecially from a movement standpoint, #### they move well) but the Cavaliers color guard adds more to the show, it is much more integrated into the overall visual package and doesn't seem to be an after thought.

I think the results were a toss-up. I thought either corps could have won tonight. Although is I had to put a number down on paper I would have scored the Cavaliers higher in both GE, Brass, Ensemble music and visual. (I am a percussion idiot, so I don't pretend to know what that should be.) Color guard would have been close, BD was more talented, Cavaliers have a better product.

But as the title of the post says, I am completely biased and this review should be read as such.

Edited by profhill

You didn't review them because you've seen them enough? I haven't. I'm the mom of a Southwind rookie and I live for these reviews.

I really appreciate reading about "my team." Don't forget about us behind the sceners for the less than top 6 corps. I did cook crew this summer, but not for the Cavies or Blue Devils or Scouts.

Profhill,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. I didn't detect any bias in your reviews (at least not as we normally think of bias -- coloring the review in favor of a particular corps). I thought the reviews were well done and very descriptive of the corps’ performances.

I can understand the disappointment of the people who wanted other corps in the show reviewed. Nonetheless, you are the one who made the effort to post reviews and it is your call as to which corps you want to review. I, for one, am grateful.

Vic Russell

if you dont like it, dont read it

Gotta apologize a bit for my crack yesterday about the first three corps. Excuse is I got up on the wrong side of the bed. Honestly, I do appreciate any review. I'm a writer myself and know the effort it takes to keep track of or take notes and then write it. :)

Betsy Carlson