No Live Streaming For OC Pre-lims or Finals

After last year, I thought for sure the powers that be would understand the parents of the Open Class corps would love to watch our kids perform via the Fan Network for prelims and even finals. I made the mistake of thinking the blue check next to the event meant I'd get to view the OC prelims live this year and was sadly disappointed, again. I called DCI and checked to be sure. They told me I could see it on demand in a week most likely in the high camera format. There are very few videos of the Open Class corps on the Fan Network, only two for our corp, the 7th Regiment, and that was from early in the season. This is sad because we couldn't afford a home show, all but one competition was close enough for me to attend, so I really have only seen my son perform in competition once all season.... our family show before they left was totally washed out by torrential rains but they played through it anyway! They are so awesome! There are some great corps out there this year and it's a shame we can't see more of them. The DCI representative could not be certain if we would be offered a DVD of finals or not, wasn't sure about downloads, and it's painful to hear that as a parent of a corp member who has worked so hard since winter to give it all up on the field. I understand there is no internet connection at Michigan City but they had a year to plan for this... Maybe next year they could make it right for all of the parents unable to go on the road... We'd pay for it. Shoot, we already do but still the OC doesn't seem to get much air time on the Fan Network. It all comes down to money I guess.

I know it's only a small consolation, but the FN is streaming Prelims on Thursday from the start of the show (with Open Class corps) through 18th place (before the theater broadcast) for FREE.

Plus OC Finals is OnDemand. Not sure when that means we'll get them though...

I'm going to send an impassioned letter to DCI FN and say that they won't get my money next year unless they live stream at least one full open class show... loaded with all the corps. At the very least, they'll know how I feel!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

This angers me to no end! I bought the stupid FN specifically to watch Open Class Finals as I know at least a dozen kids in BDB. It even said it would be on when I signed up.

I'm going to send an impassioned letter to DCI FN and say that they won't get my money next year unless they live stream at least one full open class show... loaded with all the corps. At the very least, they'll know how I feel!

I let them know how i feel. Time to clobber them with reply after reply.

We got hosed!

They listed Open Class prelims and finals on the fan network and then didn't not have them. It's one of the reasons that I signed up. They didn't even explain why, as far as I know. Not sure if I will even sign up next year.

1344383718[/url]' post='3197161']

They listed Open Class prelims and finals on the fan network and then didn't not have them. It's one of the reasons that I signed up. They didn't even explain why, as far as I know. Not sure if I will even sign up next year.

They claim it has always been very clear it was not going to be live.

I let them know how i feel. Time to clobber them with reply after reply.

We got hosed!

Good luck with that. I called them, wrote letters, posted on this forum, and offered what I thought to be a reasonable solution. Most parents can't go to finals. They can't go on the road with the corps but would love to see their kids perform more often, especially when it comes down to semi's and finals. The Fan Network does put up some videos on demand but it's pretty clear the real focus is on the World Class corps. And that's wonderful.. if you kid is in WC.

I suggested making Open Class Finals a pay per view event that could be live streamed in multi-camera format. They could charge whatever they wanted and I would bet most of us would pony up the cost to see our kids perform as well as their competition. It's nice to have a DVD of your own corps but much better to see who they competed with too. And make a DVD part of that package. If we paid $180 for the pleasure of a Blu-Ray disc of the WC finals and live streaming semi's and VOD (video on demand AFTER the finals) I think most of us Open Class parents would happily add more to watch our Open Class kids perform! Those who CAN attend with continue to attend, and for those who cant but still want to watch, at least they would have the option.

The ability to download individual performances didn't work out well for us... it crashed our computer- not DCI's fault, just didn't have a very up to date computer and we got one recording. And then there was the problem with unlicensed music that was blacked and silenced out of the final DVD when it arrived, so we didn't even get to hear and see the entire performance. Really, that kind of thing should have been worked out in production long before the arrival of a partial show. This happens more often than it should and it's sad if you weren't there because it's the only show you're going to see.

Yes, it is some consolation we will get to watch our Open Class corps on the 10th, but if we are already having the OC Championships outside of Indy, why couldn't they accommodate the parents and families of the OC a little better? They have no internet connection there I'm told. They had a year to figure that out, but didn't. I have also been told the OC doesn't generate enough revenue for DCI to put out a lot of time or equipment for recording or streaming them. I don't know what to think about that, but I know when I see my son on the field in competition, I'm the proudest parent in the audience. I just don't see enough of it!

I was so willing to pay for the experience we had a few years ago, but I don't think that will ever happen again. Sadly, I think this is our last year with drum corps and I don't know what they will do with it in the future. I hope for the sake of OC parents they make this part of the competition easier to access next year. The kids are SO worth it!

Edited by samadhi
  • Like 1