1966 Dream, SAC Retreat

This is a good mystery, worthy of Holmes or Morse.

Question: Were the Carver Gay Blades still on the field in '66? I know many members had joined the Sunrisers that season (Gene Bennett, Duke Jordan, Soupy Cephus...etc.), but perhaps they still had a corps and made an exhibition appearance at the Dream.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we saw Uncle Nick on LI until '67, so maybe...

From the Sunrisers Alumni site:

Unaware to many, Uncle Nick was the President's Aid of the Northeastern Circuit. It was his hard work, along with President Ed Morlett, that allowed the Junior Corps into the circuit. As chief recruiter of the all new Senior and Junior corps, Uncle Nick did an outstanding job. By 1965, the Washington Carver Gay Blades were no more. It was that winter in 1965 that Uncle Nick became a Sunriser.

:-)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I think I just found something in Volume 2 of the Drum Corps World "History of Drum & Bugle Corps".

The chapter on the Madison Scouts states that the 1966 corps showed up uninvited at the National Dream contest, and "politely crashed the party".

Edited by Northern Thunder

OK, I think I just found something in Volume 2 of the Drum Corps World "History of Drum & Bugle Corps".

The chapter on the Madison Scouts states that the 1966 corps showed up uninvited at the National Dream contest, and "politely crashed the party".

Son of a gun ... here's a tidbit from Madison's History page:

1966 ... This was the year, the Scouts showed up at the National Dream Contest uninvited and got themselves invited when they politely crashed the party and won the hearts of the crowd with one of their best shows that year. The Dream Contest was the most prestigious junior/senior show outside of the two major nationals.

So ... if it's them, they must be facing backfield ... the crossbelts in the video are going the wrong direction from all other pics of them ... also, the CG is behind the corps - not in front like the others ... the white bucks threw me also ... I remember them with black shoes, which they were wearing in their 66 photo in from of the US Capitol in DC ...

Kudos to Brian for figuring this out!

Son of a gun ... here's a tidbit from Madison's History page:

1966 ... This was the year, the Scouts showed up at the National Dream Contest uninvited and got themselves invited when they politely crashed the party and won the hearts of the crowd with one of their best shows that year. The Dream Contest was the most prestigious junior/senior show outside of the two major nationals.

So ... if it's them, they must be facing backfield ... the crossbelts in the video are going the wrong direction from all other pics of them ... also, the CG is behind the corps - not in front like the others ... the white bucks threw me also ... I remember them with black shoes, which they were wearing in their 66 photo in from of the US Capitol in DC ...

Kudos to Brian for figuring this out!

Belt, schmelt. They are not facing backfield unless they have their legs on backwards, or their toes together and their heels apart at a 45.

The '66 photo on p.47, Vol.I that Brian references shows the crossbelt over the left shoulder, as it had been for years. You can also just about make out the white glove worn by the 5th (or so) Scout from the left as he grasps his flag pole, I believe.

>>>>Belt, schmelt. They are not facing backfield unless they have their legs on backwards, or their toes together and their heels apart at a 45.

The '66 photo on p.47, Vol.I that Brian references shows the crossbelt over the left shoulder, as it had been for years. You can also just about make out the white glove worn by the 5th (or so) Scout from the left as he grasps his flag pole, I believe.<<<<

CORRECTOMUNDO!!!!! ... my eyes must have been seeing backwards all the time ... LOL ... I've looked at that pic several times and saw what I wanted to see and not what the pic was showing ... this was a good exercise ... would be lovely if we ever found a write-up about Madison's "suprise" visit to the Dream ... I somehow missed them ... most likey because I was at the Ballentine Ale stand!!!!!

I lost count on how many times I viewed that clip at the very end. Even stopped the video at that point and it only doubled the image making it more difficult.

I'm glad to see so many participants with this, because it only solidifies the knowledge and camaraderie displayed.

I can only agree with Andy and say it would be great if someone were to stop by and give us a complete review as to what took place that day.

Edited by gsksun4