What would YOU do?

Audition for Spirit. You'll never know unless you try. Too many people get all caught up in the audition process and lose sight of enjoying a fun weekend enjoying drum corps. Also, many open class corps (and some World Class corps) have positions open late into the spring and early summer.

From your post, I sense a passion to perform with a drum corps. Don't pass up the opportunity to do so.

After your marching year, you can always volunteer your time to support any drum corps out there. I can't think of a single corps that would ever turn away good volunteers!

But to answer your question: MARCH IN 2013!!! You'll never regret doing so. The experience will be life-changing.

Best wishes to you!!!

You sir hit the nail on the head.

If you want to do drum corps, then you can do drum corps. The one thing I learned auditioning for/marching corps is... desire and adaptability are more important than ability. I'd walk into Spirit auditions, try out on tenor. If it's not going to work in the percussion ensemble then ask the brass caption head if you can march a horn spot. Work your butt off. I think you'll be surprised at the end of the day where you end up. You can march if you want to, and if you want to you should.

If you want to do drum corps, then you can do drum corps. The one thing I learned auditioning for/marching corps is... desire and adaptability are more important than ability. I'd walk into Spirit auditions, try out on tenor. If it's not going to work in the percussion ensemble then ask the brass caption head if you can march a horn spot. Work your butt off. I think you'll be surprised at the end of the day where you end up. You can march if you want to, and if you want to you should.

Thanks for the advice...but for any other prospective member out there wondering, how does a person imagine marching/playing an instrument they've never played before. Say for example the percussion section was full, would they ACTUALLY put that person on a horn just to give them a spot?