John Brazale Best Visual Award Tie

Yes you do exist. But it's ok. You can still be wrong every now and then.

Ties can exist for overall corps placement. But not caption awards.

That makes exactly zero sense. I would argue that overall placement is quite a bit more important (if that's your thing) than caption awards. Hence, if you can tie for overall placement, you can tie for captions.

My main takeaway is this... does this mean that we could once again see a tie for first?

(So confused)

That makes exactly zero sense. I would argue that overall placement is quite a bit more important (if that's your thing) than caption awards. Hence, if you can tie for overall placement, you can tie for captions.

But overall placement is only determined by one night's score, and caption awards are determined over all three nights. The rule about ties also appears to apply to any contest. The caption awards are only about the last three. Point being, the rules are different, so I don't know why we would assume they are both covered, based on what we know.

My main takeaway is this... does this mean that we could once again see a tie for first?

Indeed.

But overall placement is only determined by one night's score, and caption awards are determined over all three nights. The rule about ties also appears to apply to any contest. The caption awards are only about the last three. Point being, the rules are different, so I don't know why we would assume they are both covered, based on what we know.

Indeed.

Don't think I quoted this question right, but yes, it seems pretty clear that a tie for first (or any placement) could happen again now. It's just less likely because we have .025 now.

But this thread is just confusing me more and more. Hoppy's 2009 rule change didn't seem to change the caption award policy. But I'm still unclear whether a tie can happen in the caption award. My gut says no.

Yes you do exist. But it's ok. You can still be wrong every now and then.

Ties can exist for overall corps placement. But not caption awards.

Uh...I thought I mentioned that ties can indeed exist for caption awards.

My brain still hurts...I"m going to bed.

Don't think I quoted this question right, but yes, it seems pretty clear that a tie for first (or any placement) could happen again now. It's just less likely because we have .025 now.

But this thread is just confusing me more and more. Hoppy's 2009 rule change didn't seem to change the caption award policy. But I'm still unclear whether a tie can happen in the caption award. My gut says no.

Uh...no, we don't have 0.25 now. When we went from nine judges in 2008 to eight judges in 2009, we lost the ability to carry out to the third decimal spot. The least amount of spread that can occur now is 0.05, half a tenth, and not a quarter of a tenth.

(So confused)

Yes, yes, and yes. (With a little dijon on the side.)

Uh...no, we don't have 0.25 now. When we went from nine judges in 2008 to eight judges in 2009, we lost the ability to carry out to the third decimal spot. The least amount of spread that can occur now is 0.05, half a tenth, and not a quarter of a tenth.

Oops, my fault. I guess '08 was the last year that rule difference would have made a difference at the top so I didn't realize there was a shift. Although the fact that there weren't two perc judges on recap sheets should have given it away...

Oops, my fault. I guess '08 was the last year that rule difference would have made a difference at the top so I didn't realize there was a shift. Although the fact that there weren't two perc judges on recap sheets should have given it away...

Hey...I just discovered last season that there are B-flat instruments on the field. :tongue:

• Like 2