Flugel vs Mello

ussglassman

I am contemplating upgrading our mellophones and wondered if Flugelhorns would be a viable substitute...

I am contemplating upgrading our mellophones and wondered if Flugelhorns would be a viable substitute...

Substitute? Maybe. Supplement? Absolutely.

Mellophones and flugelhorns, while both considered alto choir instruments, have very different sounds. You can flugels in a pinch, but you're going to have a very different ensemble sound, considering the tembre and key differences. However, when you use both, you really can darken the overall sound.

I've taught brass lines where mellos simply weren't available, and flugels can work. You just have to keep the differences in mine when arranging and staging.

Edited by Kamarag

Substitute? Maybe. Supplement? Absolutely.

Mellophones and flugelhorns, while both considered alto choir instruments, have very different sounds. You can flugels in a pinch, but you're going to have a very different ensemble sound, considering the tembre and key differences. However, when you use both, you really can darken the overall sound.

I've taught brass lines where mellos simply weren't available, and flugels can work. You just have to keep the differences in mine when arranging and staging.

What he said.

Also,

Listen to Crossmen 02-04, and 11-12. They had flugels those years. But they also had a full mello line. The Flugels were an addition. I really enjoy the color of those horn lines when they are all playing at their best.

I can't think of any other corps that has used flugels at one point. I'm sure there have been others. I just don't know.

Would I use them to substitute mellos? I wouldn't personally. I would really miss the color mellos add. But if it is a cost thing, which I honestly don't know prices, and you choosing one over the other makes more financial sense, then do that.

You can always just get rid of the trumpets. tongue.gif I think Crossmen tried that in 95 or something?? lol

I used to use flugels instead of mellos when I taught marching band. I hate, hate, hate the sound of a marching french horn.

Edited by DAvery

I used to use flugels instead of mellos when I taught marching band. I hate, hate, hate the sound of a marching french horn.

Marching french horns sound absolutely nothing at all like mellophones. The advantage mellos have over flugels (aside from tembre) is the key. Since they are in F, they are a true alto voice. I love it when I'm able to combine the two. I will even replace third trumpets with mellos, and give them a mix of Trumpet 3 and mello parts. That way you get the best of both worlds, while darkening up your trumpet ensemble sound.

As for marching French horns, I wouldn't use them, but not because they don't sound good. They are incredibly hard to play, especially in F. If you have Bb french horns, they can be easily doubled by baritones.

• Like 4

As for marching French horns, I wouldn't use them, but not because they don't sound good. They are incredibly hard to play, especially in F.

Maybe that's because nobody makes them in F.

Right, if your definition of "nobody" is Dynasty, Blessing, Kanstul, etc.

MY definition of F is an octave lower than the above marching versions of the descant horn.

But I agree they are a stupid concept - "Hey, let's offer a very delicate type of instrument to a section of high school players".

MY definition of F is an octave lower than the above marching versions of the descant horn.

But I agree they are a stupid concept - "Hey, let's offer a very delicate type of instrument to a section of high school players".

F is a key, not an octave.