Thoughts of Yesteryear

I was reading a post and someone mentioned shows in the 70's. My best memory was at 1972 US Open prelims (all 3 classes as well as finals). Harding Stadium was packed! It wasn't Ralph Wilson Stadium, it was a high school stadium where there were seats in the one end zone with concert side filled as was the back stands with competing corps members or people who could only get those tickets because the show was sold out. I think it was the intimacy of the audience with the corps. I remember performing at Sheffield, PA before they used the HS football stadium....it was on the grounds of the carnival. Hammondsport, NY we marched at the edge of a Finger Lake. NT Open was the same way...small stadiums that were packed with fans of drum corps.

I remember prelims in KC and there was NO closeness to the audience. Maybe that is why a lot of rock performers like playing smaller venues...closer to the audience and possibly the feel of the energy that the crowd sends out to the performers.