Please Recommend Euphonium Mouthpieces

JohnnyAngel

Greetings fellow brass players, it is to you that I turn for expert advice. I recently purchased a Yamaha YEP-201 euphonium and I am not completely enamored with the stock mouthpiece. Could anyone please recommend some suitable mouthpieces. Price is not a consideration at this point as I'm just investigating the possibilities. In advance, thank you so much for any and all suggestions!

A Denis Wick 6BY should fir your need. It's what I use on my 321S. Designed for a small shank Yamaha Euphonium.

Well if I'm not mistaken the 201 is a "large shank" with a 0.571 bore. Not sure a small shank mouthpiece would go well with that :thumbup:

My friend got himself a Schlike 52E2 and it was heavenly (before he left it in his case after the finals retreat and it's gone forever :P). He said most places sell it for like $150 but he got one for $60. Not sure where, but you can do a quick search. I'm pretty sure it is one of the more optimal mouthpieces I've ever tried.

I love my Schilke 51D. It's a small shank mouthpiece, however it is about as big as a bathtub. Makes switching between baritone and tuba very easy for me.

Well if I'm not mistaken the 201 is a "large shank" with a 0.571 bore. Not sure a small shank mouthpiece would go well with that :thumbup:

My friend got himself a Schlike 52E2 and it was heavenly (before he left it in his case after the finals retreat and it's gone forever :P). He said most places sell it for like $150 but he got one for $60. Not sure where, but you can do a quick search. I'm pretty sure it is one of the more optimal mouthpieces I've ever tried.

I thought the 201 was the student line 3-valve?

The 201 and the 321 are the same horn, except for number of valves. Both smallshank. I'll use a 201 when I don't "need" the 4th valve.

oh well I don't know, I haven't tried one myself, but I looked on the yamaha website at the bore size, I could be wrong. Sorry about that. I'm not too knowledgeable about small bore mouthpieces, as I don't use small bore horns. :thumbup:

A Bach 4C usually works well with small shank euphonium. It's not too deep or too shallow, and you can produce a pretty good sound on it. A Schilke 51D can work pretty well too, but its sharp rim sometimes doesn't work out so well with big-lipped people like myself.

The 201 and the 321 are the same horn, except for number of valves. Both smallshank. I'll use a 201 when I don't "need" the 4th valve.

The 4th valve can come in more handy than you think with a non-compensating instrument. I use mine more than you'd think I do. :satisfied: