Congratulations to "The Company"

From the Drum Corps Europe web site. We got to watch most of the Premier (all-age) Class. Very entertaining day of drum corps. We rooted hard for the Scouts but they fell a bit short. The crowd booed the score - clearly Kidsgrove was a crowd favorite.

The Company has prolonged its European title in the Premier Class in Kerkrade yesterday. Their show entitled 'Red Hiding Hood' scored 87.15 points, which was 1.55 more than the Kidsgrove Scouts (85.60).

More than 2,500 drum corps fans in the packed stand of the Parkstad Limburg Stadium were treated with some unbelievable drum corps action. While The Company took the title with quite a margin, the Kidsgrove Scouts appeared to be the crowd's favourite corps. Their 'Valley of the Kings' resulted in several standing ovations during their performance.

For the first time ever, there was an all British top three at the European Championships. With a show entitled 'Trapped', the Black Knights ended in third place which is the highest placement ever for them at DCE (85.35). Jubal ended in 5th place in the Prelims, but passed Juliana in Finals. "Stairway' brought them into 4th position (83.05), while Juliana scored 82.80 points, and came 5th.

Beatrix became 6th (80.55), Starriders 7th (75.40), Commodores 8th (74.35), Besana Secutores 9th (70.45) and Showband Rastede 10th (69.95).

From the Drum Corps Europe web site. We got to watch most of the Premier (all-age) Class. Very entertaining day of drum corps. We rooted hard for the Scouts but they fell a bit short. The crowd booed the score - clearly Kidsgrove was a crowd favorite.

The Company has prolonged its European title in the Premier Class in Kerkrade yesterday. Their show entitled 'Red Hiding Hood' scored 87.15 points, which was 1.55 more than the Kidsgrove Scouts (85.60).

More than 2,500 drum corps fans in the packed stand of the Parkstad Limburg Stadium were treated with some unbelievable drum corps action. While The Company took the title with quite a margin, the Kidsgrove Scouts appeared to be the crowd's favourite corps. Their 'Valley of the Kings' resulted in several standing ovations during their performance.

For the first time ever, there was an all British top three at the European Championships. With a show entitled 'Trapped', the Black Knights ended in third place which is the highest placement ever for them at DCE (85.35). Jubal ended in 5th place in the Prelims, but passed Juliana in Finals. "Stairway' brought them into 4th position (83.05), while Juliana scored 82.80 points, and came 5th.

Beatrix became 6th (80.55), Starriders 7th (75.40), Commodores 8th (74.35), Besana Secutores 9th (70.45) and Showband Rastede 10th (69.95).

Great to se that European Drum Corps is going strong!

Yes, it is going well... corps wise, but as I get ready to write my coverage article for Drum Corps World I must tell you that I'm having a very difficult time dealing with the results and scores... after 60 years in this business... either their system or their judges have me mystified and I'm really challenged wondering how honest I should be in my article...

and believe me, this is not sour grapes about Kidsgrove losing... The Company are freakin phenominal... I can accept that and the fact that their system allows that to happen... but the spreads, the low scores and the order of finish after the top two have me at a loss for words... and the recap from finals is a great work of fiction... ah well... (except perhaps the color guard judge who nailed it - Beatrix color guard was fantastic and their corps was way better than rated also) you guys know me I'll get the job done without taking anything away from a great day of drum corps and hundreds of fantastic performers.

Yes, it is going well... corps wise, but as I get ready to write my coverage article for Drum Corps World I must tell you that I'm having a very difficult time dealing with the results and scores... after 60 years in this business... either their system or their judges have me mystified and I'm really challenged wondering how honest I should be in my article...

and believe me, this is not sour grapes about Kidsgrove losing... The Company are freakin phenominal... I can accept that and the fact that their system allows that to happen... but the spreads, the low scores and the order of finish after the top two have me at a loss for words... and the recap from finals is a great work of fiction... ah well... (except perhaps the color guard judge who nailed it - Beatrix color guard was fantastic and their corps was way better than rated also) you guys know me I'll get the job done without taking anything away from a great day of drum corps and hundreds of fantastic performers.

Tom,

I am with you on this. When I was a DCW writer I offended a few fans with a comment about a corps show being "over the heads of the audience". A few angry letters were sent in. I didn't mean to insult anyone. I just didn't feel that I should have to carry in a musical score and have to evaluate it like I was back in a music theory class in college to appreciate the program. I don't know if you were around back in the days that DCW covered Winter Guard. If I remember correct WGI wanted a right of censorship on the articles, so DCW decided to no longer cover winter guard.

My point is to be brutally honest about it. I watched the DCE on the Internet and quite honestly I don't get it where The Company is concerned. I wasn't sure if the target audience was a kindergarten class or the artsy-fartsy crowd. To me it sounded like 11 minutes of Over the River and through the Woods. The music and program didn't seem very challenging or entertaining. Yes they did it incredibility well, I just didn't like the show at all. I didn't see it being first place. I watched their show from the previous year on YouTube and enjoyed it. Maybe it was better in person, but from the internet broadcast Kidsgrove appeared to be the better corps.

Scott Smith

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if there is any chance of having The Company AND the Scouts come to DCA in the same year? It would be great to see this happen along with a visit from the Inspires. then we would truly have a World Championship on our hands.